Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

allergy from using any apple product with alumminim casing

I have develpoed allergy on two of my fingers where I touch my MacBook pro. It is started after I bought my first macbook pro. I persisted thinking it is due to something else. However, I stayed a way from the mac and my allergy disaapeared. I then covered it with adhessive plastic and then with palstic case but still give continuous outbreak. I used ipad and did the same to it but again I has terrrible allergies with fingers that are in the vicinity of my covered ipad and MAcbook pro. Then I shifted to Vaio and my finger got better. I thought Ok let me get iphone 4 and put a leather cover on it. Again my allergy came back. It is interesting that iphone 3 did not give me problems. I think there something in the brushed aluminum that coats macbook pro, ipad and iphone 4. Please I need some help. I think apple should produce products with other matrials so we can all enjoy the product. I think for now I am going to toss all of the apple products. They are Macbook pro, iMAc 27 inch, ipad and ipad2, and iphone 4. It seems that apple is insensitive to clients requests. I found that many people have the same problems.

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2013 3:13 PM

Actually, the issue is not moot as more and more people are becoming affected. I am a long time Apple customer, starting with my first Macintosh in 1986. Believe me, the last thing on my mind is to complain about Apple products.

That said, I was diagnosed a few months ago with Dyshidrosis (also known as dyshidrotic eczema, pompholyx, podopompholyx, cheiropompholyx, acute vesiculobullous hand eczema, or just simply hand eczema). This condition causes small, itchy blisters on the hands (and sometimes also the feet). The skin becomes very thick and cracks. As soon as any of the blisters begin to clear up, several more reappear overnight. I experience a constant bombardment of blisters on the palms of my hands. Nothing over the counter or prescribed by a dermatologist has cleared up the problem.

One of the common triggers of dyshidrosis is an allergic reaction to nickel.

While I cannot be certain that I developed this condition after using my Mac laptops for so many years, the pattern of the breakouts on my hands match with my normal habit of where I rest my hands. My right hand is less affected than my left hand. I have noticed that my right hand is lifted up more often as I move around the keyboard and trackpad. During that time, my left hand palm is resting flat on the Mac's aluminum body.

To be honest, I cannot imagine not using my Mac so I'm going to do my best to cover all parts of it using one of the recommended products out there, such as possibly the InvisibleShield or BodyGuardz full body covers. I understand I must also cover my iPhone and iPad with full body protection.

I very much hope as the news of more and more people developing nickel allergies from the many electronic devices we use each day, Apple will offer products with bodies that do not contain nickel. It seemed like such a good idea at the time, but the long-term consequences are proving to do more harm than good.

The only way people can become educated about the nickel allergy is for those of use who are affected to speak up. Dismissing our comments simply because you are not affected does not make it a non-issue. There once was a time when I was not affected, as well. Now I am. Who's next?

It's also important that others know of the connection between electronics with nickel and the development of allergies to nickel. It is likely that people are dealing with this condition without knowing of the connection. The first step to finding a solution is to find the cause.

If you are not familiar with this problem, google dyshidrosis (or any of the alternative names) with Apple, Macintosh, computers, and so on. You'll find a lot of others now suffering from the condition and the link with Apple (and any other brand using nickel) products. I wish I had known before it happened to me. I would have taken more precautions. Now all I can do is figure out the best way to deal with it.

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2013 3:13 PM in response to sig

Actually, the issue is not moot as more and more people are becoming affected. I am a long time Apple customer, starting with my first Macintosh in 1986. Believe me, the last thing on my mind is to complain about Apple products.

That said, I was diagnosed a few months ago with Dyshidrosis (also known as dyshidrotic eczema, pompholyx, podopompholyx, cheiropompholyx, acute vesiculobullous hand eczema, or just simply hand eczema). This condition causes small, itchy blisters on the hands (and sometimes also the feet). The skin becomes very thick and cracks. As soon as any of the blisters begin to clear up, several more reappear overnight. I experience a constant bombardment of blisters on the palms of my hands. Nothing over the counter or prescribed by a dermatologist has cleared up the problem.

One of the common triggers of dyshidrosis is an allergic reaction to nickel.

While I cannot be certain that I developed this condition after using my Mac laptops for so many years, the pattern of the breakouts on my hands match with my normal habit of where I rest my hands. My right hand is less affected than my left hand. I have noticed that my right hand is lifted up more often as I move around the keyboard and trackpad. During that time, my left hand palm is resting flat on the Mac's aluminum body.

To be honest, I cannot imagine not using my Mac so I'm going to do my best to cover all parts of it using one of the recommended products out there, such as possibly the InvisibleShield or BodyGuardz full body covers. I understand I must also cover my iPhone and iPad with full body protection.

I very much hope as the news of more and more people developing nickel allergies from the many electronic devices we use each day, Apple will offer products with bodies that do not contain nickel. It seemed like such a good idea at the time, but the long-term consequences are proving to do more harm than good.

The only way people can become educated about the nickel allergy is for those of use who are affected to speak up. Dismissing our comments simply because you are not affected does not make it a non-issue. There once was a time when I was not affected, as well. Now I am. Who's next?

It's also important that others know of the connection between electronics with nickel and the development of allergies to nickel. It is likely that people are dealing with this condition without knowing of the connection. The first step to finding a solution is to find the cause.

If you are not familiar with this problem, google dyshidrosis (or any of the alternative names) with Apple, Macintosh, computers, and so on. You'll find a lot of others now suffering from the condition and the link with Apple (and any other brand using nickel) products. I wish I had known before it happened to me. I would have taken more precautions. Now all I can do is figure out the best way to deal with it.

Aug 17, 2015 1:28 AM in response to dr_khaled

I have this reaction too. Everything was fine when I had MacBook Air 11, but since I switched to MacBook Pro 13 Retina, i started to notice the symptoms described in previous posts. I suspect this is because unlike MacBook Air - MacBook Pro 13 Retina has rather sharp edges in the side when the palms rest - this is where I push my palms against when placing the laptop on my lap.

Oct 27, 2017 5:42 PM in response to Inanna1320

I made a couple of recommendations, get a computer made of another material or get a plastic keyboard. I am out of ideas. You can continue to post in this 6 year old thread but it is getting you nowhere. The perceived problem was posted 6 years ago and still Apple has not done anything about the issue you are experiencing. So why do you think continued posting is doing you any good?

Here is another idea, contact Apple directly and provide them feedback: Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 19, 2015 5:42 PM in response to carl wolf

Thanks for bringing that up, Carl.

Several users here complained about what they felt might be electrical tingling from a MacBook. A lot of those complaining were using the power adapter plugged on the short "duckbill" adapter rather than the six foot power cord. The three prong AC power cord is grounded, the "duckbill" is NOT.

If some of the trouble is caused by an electric sensitivity rather than "just" the metal, err on the side of caution and use the cord. If you still experience tingling, check that wall socket to be sure it is grounded, and do not use a two-prong extension cord.

Oct 27, 2017 12:16 PM in response to dr_khaled

I also have skin peeling, dryness, cracking, wrinkling, tingling and pain all correlating to the exact time I got my macbook... I have the exact same story as all the others with the allergy from the Materials Apple is using... Nickel allergy I guess... Now to find a way to cover the Macbook so I don't touch the toxic surfaces until I can switch to Microsoft

Oct 27, 2017 2:43 PM in response to Inanna1320

Inanna1320 wrote:

I also have skin peeling, dryness, cracking, wrinkling, tingling and pain all correlating to the exact time I got my macbook... I have the exact same story as all the others with the allergy from the Materials Apple is using... Nickel allergy I guess... Now to find a way to cover the Macbook so I don't touch the toxic surfaces until I can switch to Microsoft

Just stop using the computer if you are having an allergic reaction, but I would confirm this with an allergist rather than "guessing". It takes a couple of minutes to get yourself a Windows PC so why the issue of covering the Mac?

Oct 27, 2017 4:02 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Obviously that is not an option for me right now... What are you doing since you are not providing any support or doing anything helpful... You have no idea about my situation... I plan on getting a new computer when I get out of the Jungles of Costa Rica but that won't be for a couple more months...

Also, if there was a product that APPLE made for their computers, because there are thousands of people experiencing this from their products, I would buy it and the problem would be solved!

So please, if you cannot be helpful or compassionate maybe you should keep to yourself... We are looking for solutions and it took many of us a long time to figure out this was a problem...

It would only take you a couple of seconds to imagine what it would be like in someone else's shoes rather than chiming in with nonsense and insensitivity...

And for all of us that have come to this realization about the Allergy from the metal in Apple products, we have all spent massive amount of time researching and going to doctors, trying creams, changing diets etc.... Nothing has worked and we all are using the same computer and have the exact same reaction ... So no it's not a guess

Oct 27, 2017 4:26 PM in response to Inanna1320

I guess I would have by now gotten myself a plastic keyboard or a computer made of a different material that I was not allergic to. It reminds me of the person who says it really hurts when I put my hand in the fire. The answer/solution is to stop putting one's hand in the fire. If I had tried tried so many things as "doctors, trying creams, changing diets etc..." and had not found a solution I would have removed the source of my allergy a long time ago.

This thread was started 6 years ago and still Apple makes metal computers. You continuing to post to a 6 year old thread asking Apple to stop using metal or provide some sort of cover is not working as a solution. So I am being compassionate and and am offering a solution.

This is what you said "Nickel allergy I guess." so that to me sounds like you are guessing.

Oct 27, 2017 5:32 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Seriously... You have nothing else better to do than geek out on the apple forum like you are some paid shill? I just found out that this is the allergy and what has caused it.. I DEVELOPED THE ALLERGY BECAUSE OF THIS---I DID NOT HAVE IT BEFORE NOR DID I KNOW WHAT WAS CAUSING IT...... Like many others, it was a lot of searching before figuring this out... The thing is, APPLE KNOWS and the right thing to do would either be a) make a product that people can buy after they develop an allergy from using their products and b) inform people buying about this issue...

You probably don't know about what happened with the people and the Apple watches either...

Your making assumptions and you're not helping the situation... Your judgements and "I would have" statements are very disconnected from your humanity...

I know this allergy is not affecting you but there are so many people out there who have it and THEY DO NOT KNOW THE CAUSE AND ARE SPENDING YEARS TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT!!

I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand

Jul 11, 2011 4:00 PM in response to dr_khaled

Please I need some help.

See your family doctor.

I think apple should produce products with other matrials so we can all enjoy the product.

Product Feedback

It seems that apple is insensitive to clients requests.

How so? 😕 And who did you submit your request to?

I found that many people have the same problems.

Where did you find these people? Out of the thousands of postings I have read on this message board since I first signed up, you're the 2nd one I've read that reported being allergic to their Macbook Pro.

Jul 11, 2011 4:00 PM in response to dr_khaled

You may have found that "many" people have the same problem, but "many" is a relative term. The overwhelming majority of people have no such allergy and use Apple products without any discomfort. Apple is sensitive to the marketplace, and what it makes is selling very, very well the world over. If you can't use Apple's products, that's a shame, but we all have to respect the limits our bodies set for us. Use other products that meet your needs.

Jul 11, 2011 7:33 PM in response to eww

Thanks for reply. I know that apple is an excellent product and my frustration with the casing issue for two years has disfigured my fingers. I have been to doctors. I always blame on something else but the matter of fact it is the aluminum case of apple products. As for your suggestion to find myself something else, I would throughly enjoy a refund for the four devices I own. May be I should said that Apple should make an alternative casing.

allergy from using any apple product with alumminim casing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.