Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Domain Email

I have a mac mini with Snow Leopard 10.6

I followed other discussion on setting up the mail server to accept mail for mutiple domains and it works fine. I used the setup domain1.com and then added Hosting domain2.com then I setup users anyone@domain1.com (which I understand is the same as anyone@domain2.com)

I can send and receive email at both addresses.

I use Max Bulk Mailer and when I setup my connection to send out a blast email to my list, in the settings I used: domain2.com and the email address/login as: anyone@domain2.com I got a port refused the connection error. I need to be able to send out email blasts under any of the domains under my Host Settings.

What do I need to do or change?

Thanks,

Cailyn

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 5:55 PM

7 replies

Jul 11, 2011 8:11 PM in response to cailyn

You need to be a little clearer about your settings... I have no idea what 'Max Bulk Mailer' is, but I'm going to guess that the problem lies in:

in the settings I used: domain2.com

I'm going to hazard that this means you set 'domain2.com' as being the mail server address, in which case that's clearly not right. You should be specifying the address (or hostname) of the mail server not the domain name you're sending for (that likely comes from the 'email address part of the settings). I'd expect the server address to be something more like 'mail.domain1.com', or maybe 'mail.domain2.com', depending on how your DNS is configured.

Jul 11, 2011 10:41 PM in response to Camelot

Sorry I thought using generics would be easy.

Domain Name: joelquigley.com

Host name: joelquigley.com

Under the ADVANCED tab, HOSTING, also added rootstockfestival.com.

I need to be able to email my subscribers for the rootstockfestival.com which are a separate group for my joelquigley.com people. I will also be adding multiple domains and lists down the road.

Jul 12, 2011 10:10 AM in response to cailyn

Obfuscation certainly doesn't help, but I still don't think you're quite getting my point.

Domain Name: joelquigley.com

Host name: joelquigley.com

It's unexpected that 'joelquigley.com' would be correct for your hostname. Tpically this would be something like 'mail.joelquigley.com' or similar (which is how you have rootstockfestival.com setup). That said, it _could_ be correct if you've only got a single IP address. The big issue, though, is what mail server you're trying to tell Max Bulk Mailer to send through. Are you using the joelquigley.com hostname or rootstockfestival.com?

In either case I would expect the majority of your mail to bounce, anyway because you don't have valid reverse DNS for your mail server. Many ISPs, especially the big boys, aill automatically reject your mail on that fact alone, let alone the fact it is actual bulk mail (opt-in or not).

So you have two issues to resolve - first is your reverse DNS (which you have to talk to Sonic.net about), the second is where you've configured Max Bulk Mailer to send its mail through.

Jul 12, 2011 12:01 PM in response to Camelot

The reason it was unexpected it that the Apple instructions said it was not needed, just common protocol.

So sonic.net is going to setup my Reverse DNS

I am going to change my DNS settings with network solutions to be mail.joelquigley.com

I am going to change my server information where it says HOST NAME to be mail.joelquigley.com

So once all that is done, then it should take care of any issues with my email and bulk mail for joelquigley.com

But here is my next question: on the ADVANCED TAB, HOSTING tab, do I change from rootstockfestival.com to mail.rootstockfestival.com?

Jul 12, 2011 12:18 PM in response to cailyn

But here is my next question: on the ADVANCED TAB, HOSTING tab, do I change from rootstockfestival.com to mail.rootstockfestival.com?

Under hosting you tell the mail servers what domain(s) it should accept mail for.

It's unlikely you're expecting to receive mail addressed to someuser@mail.rootstockfestival.com - you're more likely to use someuser@rootstockfestival.com and therefore 'rootstockfestival.com 'is what you should specify.

Of course, you could do both. It's entirely your call.

Jul 12, 2011 12:23 PM in response to Camelot

Nope I want name@rootstockfestival.com

So in the Server Admin for Mail I changed the HOST name to mail.joelquigley.com and now it reads all addresses as name@mail.joelquigley.com so that I will undo and go back to

Domain name: joelquigley.com

Host Name: joelquigley.com on the GENERAL Tab

This is where I THINK I remember the my DNS MX record at Network solutions will point

mail.joelquigley.com to my ip address

Sonic.net entered a reverse dns from my ip to joelquigley.com

so that now sounds like it is all correct.

When I configure my Apple Mail Preferences, do I now have to go in and change my mail server from joelquigley.com to mail.joelquigley.com to match the DNS settings?

Nov 22, 2013 4:35 AM in response to cailyn

Your PTR (reverse IP) is incorrect:

> set type=mx

> joelquigley.com

Server: 8.8.8.8

Address: 8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:

joelquigley.com mail exchanger = 10 mail.joelquigley.com.

Authoritative answers can be found from:

> set type=a

> mail.joelquigley.com

Name: mail.joelquigley.com

Address: 64.142.85.71

> set type=ptr

> 64.142.85.71

71.85.142.64.in-addr.arpa name = thefives.joelquigley.com

what is the actual hostname of your server? Unless of course your server is called thefives.j.......

One way to combat having different hostnames to reverse lookups is by using SPF records.. i.e. a TXT record with the following on your domain:

example.com. TXT "v=spf1 a:thefives.joelquigley.com -all"

As well as this, set the MX records ALSO to point at:

thefives.joelquigley.com

Multiple Domain Email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.