Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any idea how to make this Zalman microphone work on my iMac?

I bought a Zalman ZM-MIC1 off Amazon as it has pretty good reviews and it very compact, which is what I was most interested in. Now, I was under the impression that I could just plug this into the back of my iMac and off I'd go. However, that has turned out not to be the case.

What it actually does, is nothing.

Now, I've tried my iMac running OS X and Windows 7 as well as my MacBook Pro running OS X. Neither machine was able to make it work.

The best I can get is that when I plug it into my iMac under Windows 7 the default audio input device switches from the built-in mic to the line-in port. I don't know if that means anything beyond the port isn't broken, however.

Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. If I'm honest, I need to verify that the mic works at the least. However, what I'm eventually hoping to do is get it to work under Windows when I'm gaming.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iMac11,3

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 6:33 PM

1 reply

Jul 12, 2011 12:30 AM in response to Doug_S

It appears, on further research, that the input port on the back of an iMac is not, actually, for a microphone but more for an AMP. Great.

If anyone has any advice about how best I could proceed I'd appreciate it. At this point I'm strongly debating just junking the idea for now and saving up until I can get a proper gaming headset.

Any idea how to make this Zalman microphone work on my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.