Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can Server Monitor report status if LOM isn't configured?

I'm now managing a large number of Xserves (PPC & Intel, 10.4/5/6) and the organisation has not before relied on LOM or central reporting of faults.

I predict most of my issues are firewall related (many remote sites) but there are some remote machines that do appear and function in my Server Monitor running on my macbook... but when checking the LOM config on that server it turns out there's nothing configured... how is this so?

Does LOM have to be fully configured to allow Server Monitor to function? or only to allow for 'remote hands' when the server is flaky, and Server Montior will function just as long as LOM is enabled?

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 6:07 AM

bpwell wrote:

I'm now managing a large number of Xserves (PPC & Intel, 10.4/5/6) and the organisation has not before relied on LOM or central reporting of faults.

I predict most of my issues are firewall related (many remote sites) but there are some remote machines that do appear and function in my Server Monitor running on my macbook... but when checking the LOM config on that server it turns out there's nothing configured... how is this so?

Does LOM have to be fully configured to allow Server Monitor to function? or only to allow for 'remote hands' when the server is flaky, and Server Montior will function just as long as LOM is enabled?

It may depend on the model of XServe. Older models did not have LOM so obviously LOM is not needed for those (e.g. an old G5 XServe). I also found that if your running Server Monitor on the XServe itself then it can locally monitor without LOM, but for other XServes I found I did need to configure LOM.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2011 6:07 AM in response to bpwell

bpwell wrote:

It may depend on the model of XServe. Older models did not have LOM so obviously LOM is not needed for those (e.g. an old G5 XServe). I also found that if your running Server Monitor on the XServe itself then it can locally monitor without LOM, but for other XServes I found I did need to configure LOM.

How can Server Monitor report status if LOM isn't configured?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.