Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an older i pod that used to be synched to a windows laptop, it will not synch to my macbook, I also have a iphone 4 which is fine, is it ok to have two devices synched to one laptop ?

I am trying to update my old i pod but it wont transfer the music. I realise that it used to be linked to my old windows laptop. Now I use apple mac and wondered if that was the reason?

iPod classic, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 5:47 AM

Yes. Your iPod can only be linked with one iTunes library at a time (that is unless you manually manage your iPod's contents). So in order to sync it with the new Mac and not lose any of your existing music and content on your iPod, you'll need to copy this content from your iPod over to your Mac first.

See this older post from another forum member Zevoneer describing different ways to do this.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2452022?start=0&tstart=0

Once the media is copied from your iPod to your new Mac, you can either Erase and Sync it or restore it via iTunes. From there you can sync all your old content back over to it, plus the new stuff as well.

B-rock

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2011 5:47 AM in response to susanfromdoncaster

Yes. Your iPod can only be linked with one iTunes library at a time (that is unless you manually manage your iPod's contents). So in order to sync it with the new Mac and not lose any of your existing music and content on your iPod, you'll need to copy this content from your iPod over to your Mac first.

See this older post from another forum member Zevoneer describing different ways to do this.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2452022?start=0&tstart=0

Once the media is copied from your iPod to your new Mac, you can either Erase and Sync it or restore it via iTunes. From there you can sync all your old content back over to it, plus the new stuff as well.

B-rock

I have an older i pod that used to be synched to a windows laptop, it will not synch to my macbook, I also have a iphone 4 which is fine, is it ok to have two devices synched to one laptop ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.