Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import a photo attachment from Mail?

There is a neat shortcut to iPhoto ( the save icon has an option to export to iPhoto) but I can't seem to be able to re-set to exporting to Aperture. I can obviously save to desktop then drag to Aperture. But seems sloppy.

MAc Doucore 2.8MHz 21 inch screen, Powerbook 15, iBook 14, iMAC, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 1:05 AM

12 replies

Jan 9, 2012 10:12 PM in response to AUSEXPAT

Ausexpat;

sounds like you are talking about contextual-clicking on a photo attachment and you see limited options, including Export to iPhoto, but years after its introduction, Aperture is inexplicably absent from that contextual menu!

One solution I've just set up for myself for the same issue is to create a process for handling the attachments:

1) set up a new Project in Aperture called "imported from Mail"

2) Open Automator, and from the intro screen, click Application, then the Choose button

3) Click Photos in the Library in the far left pane

4) Drag Import Photos from the middle pane to the pane on the right

5) from the Choose Project pop-up menu, select the Project you created in step one

6) Save this Automator Application somewhere you will be able to find it

7) in Mail, select the photo(s) you want in Aperture, select Open With > Other... and choose the Application you created in step 6, then enjoy as you glide over to Aperture and see the photo in the Project!

Once you've set up the Application, it's a quick contextual (or "right-") click, Open Withe Other... click and you're done.

Good luck!

Jan 10, 2012 8:40 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Starting with Snow Leopard adding items to the contexual menu stopped being supported. While some apps still do it (dropbox for one) it takes a buch of back stage finagling thats not possible with a service.

Remember you can always assign a key combination to a service See System Preferences->Keyboard->Keyboard Shortcuts and the select Services.

Jan 10, 2012 8:48 AM in response to 1 Open Loop

One thing you may want to change, in the automator block Import Photos if you check the box Show this action when workflow runs this box will open before the mail attachment is imported:User uploaded file

This will allow you to select the project to import into or create a new project.

I'm not really sure how that Import by Reference checkbox works, never tried it. Also the same for the Delete checkbox. If you set either of those two make sure you try it out first before doing anything real.

Jan 10, 2012 9:16 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

I'm not really sure how that Import by Reference checkbox works, never tried it.

I tried that previously and cannot really recommend it, because you have no control over where the referenced master will be stored.

My master image files that I imported by "Import by Reference" all showed up in the "Downloads" folder, not a very safe place. You would have to relocate it immediately after import.

Léonie

Jan 10, 2012 9:53 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

I set it up this way: (screenshot)

User uploaded file

• I used Downloads folder because I _don't_ want this to interfere with the default Mail Attachments folder.
  • I created the Project "_Mail Attachments". The underscore forces to the top of an alphabetized list (e.g.: the Library tab of the Inspector).
  • "Delete the Source Image ... " works, but it shows as unchecked if you open the Service in Automator again.
  • I second Léonie's advice: much better to leave "Import by Reference" unchecked and relocate after importing.

How do I import a photo attachment from Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.