Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

removing kexts and fixing permissions

hi all, i need a bit of advice on removing kexts from OSX also info about permissions.

im a long time windows user um......., anyway ive recently come over to Mac OSX bought a Macbook pro, i want some info regarding kexts and permissions

i installed a ps3 controller kext which is fine but should i ever need to remove it do i just delete the kext manually and fix permisssions or is there a better way of doing this?

when should i fix permissions apart from problems with files? i dont quite understand the process of removing kexts properly and fixing permissions, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

im no noob with computers in general, far from it as im MCSE qualified but macs is a whole new ball game which im wanting to learn, so any help is greatly appreciated.

i must say this far im loving the macbook pro's 😍

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2011 15""

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 11:51 AM

You can just remove it manually. No need to fix permissions. You can do it from the terminal, for example,

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/foo.kext

where sudo will prompt for your admin password and of course "foo" here would be replaced with the kext you want to remove. Note there are no spaces in that pathname ("/System/Library/Extensions/foo.kext").

You should reboot immediately after removing the kext. You may notice a longer time to log out and to log in after that. The longer log in is due to the system rebuilding the kext cache. Succeeding logins should resume to your normal speed.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2011 11:51 AM in response to fq360

You can just remove it manually. No need to fix permissions. You can do it from the terminal, for example,

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/foo.kext

where sudo will prompt for your admin password and of course "foo" here would be replaced with the kext you want to remove. Note there are no spaces in that pathname ("/System/Library/Extensions/foo.kext").

You should reboot immediately after removing the kext. You may notice a longer time to log out and to log in after that. The longer log in is due to the system rebuilding the kext cache. Succeeding logins should resume to your normal speed.

Jul 12, 2011 11:49 AM in response to fq360

As long as you documented which kexts were added, and you know no other tool uses them, sure, doing what you suggest is good. If you have any doubt as to what uses them, it is better for the controller software developer to tell you what software to uninstall. Kexts are generally not to be tampered with unless you are a developer, and know no other tool uses them. If you install anything new after the kexts, be sure it doesn't install its own version of the kext over the one you added.

Jul 12, 2011 12:08 PM in response to a brody

many thanks for your replies.

i didnt want to say before but i have had some experience previously but with hackintosh, i know thats not permitted here

but i wanted to see what all the fuss was about with the mac and now i bought one. so if im getting this correct then there is no need to fix permissions after removing kexts.

i also read that that .pkg installs also add a receipt to the kext in receipt directory which shows what the permissions should be, ive checked my permissions and had a few descrepancies mainly to do with airport, i therefore fixed the permissions via the disk utility not from OSX DVD.

question is i havent touched the airport utility so why would the permissions be changed?

thanks

Jul 12, 2011 12:16 PM in response to fq360

You don't need to fix prermissions when removing a kext because you are not changing permissions on anything. Deleting a kext within /System/Library/Extensions isn't going to change the permissions of the other kexts in there nor the directory containing them. You of course need admin prevleges to fiddle in there, hense the sudo on that command I showed.

It doesn't hurt to repair permissions other than waste some time. Repair does indeed look at receipts to get its data but it will always show some stuff it's "unhappy" with. It's generally the same stuff no matter how many times you run repair so just ignore it. Personally I rarely do a repair permissions. I don't even recall the last time I did it.

Jul 12, 2011 12:19 PM in response to fq360

Airport is not the only thing that is in the system that uses kexts. Input devices use them, including keyboards, mice, trackpads, data ports use them including Bluetooth, Firewire, USB, and anything that transmits info in that manner does. There are a number of built-kexts which the normal user is not going to touch, and Apple protects the normal user from doing so by setting permissions to be restricted. It also prevents the viruses from attaching themselves to something that is system linking to hardware. Mac OS developer forums are probably more able to give you a concise response, but that's the general response.

Jul 12, 2011 12:38 PM in response to fq360

I haven't encountered it for some time now (maybe years), but I do recall installing some end user packages which screwed up some system permissions forcing me to do a repair. Also, I suppose if I were doing a major version or combo update to OSX I might do a repair before and after the update (but personally I don't have to worry about that). Apple is no bargin eitther in always getting the permissions right after some of their installers run. Ok, so I don't really trust apple either!

removing kexts and fixing permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.