Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding .scc closed caption file to .mov in compressor w/o re-encode

Hi all,

I am trying to add a .scc closed caption file to a .mov with H.264 MPEG4 AVC in compressor. I can successfully do this in the "additional information" tab by adding the .scc and using Quicktime H.264 settings (H.264 video with stereo ACC audio. Settings based off of the source resolution and frame rate).

My problem is that the output file is twice the file size as my source .h264 MOV. I really just want to add the .scc without re-encoding the original file and am hoping to do this in Compressor before I have to purchase MacCaption, which I'm pretty sure can do this.

I have also tried opening the .mov in QT Pro 7.66 and opening the .scc in another QT window, copying .scc and add to movie in the .mov window. This effectively brings the .scc over but forces the video to shrink and move to the upper left of the pane. See attached pic.

Thanks in advance,

andyUser uploaded file

Final Cut Studio '09, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 11:49 AM

Try Window/Show Movie Properites (Apple+J), select the Caption Track, then below, look at the Visual Settings. Uncheck Preserve Aspect Ratio (usually), then enter a height and width which matches your Video Track size. You may in some cases want to make this slightly smaller than your Video Track size to completely get rid of any residual white edges.

Hope this helps

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2011 11:49 AM in response to Andy_Rob

Try Window/Show Movie Properites (Apple+J), select the Caption Track, then below, look at the Visual Settings. Uncheck Preserve Aspect Ratio (usually), then enter a height and width which matches your Video Track size. You may in some cases want to make this slightly smaller than your Video Track size to completely get rid of any residual white edges.

Hope this helps

Jan 26, 2012 4:42 PM in response to Bill K.

New take on this question: do you know of any way that scc files can be added to a batch of .mov files? For example I have a series of 100, 11min mp2 videos which I transcode each to create two mov files. A 700kb.mov and 6500kb.mov. The original mp2 files have a closed caption track which I can extract to create an scc file (or srt, smi). I'm not looking for a way to now add the scc files to the 200 mov files I've created without having to add each one by one.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Adding .scc closed caption file to .mov in compressor w/o re-encode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.