Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

make copy of the OSX INSTALL DVD

Quick question people: if I simply copy and paste the operative system DVD on a memory stick, can I use it as a recovery unit to restore my mac in case of problems?

Any other hint would be very appreciated!!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 1:53 PM

2 replies

Jul 12, 2011 2:03 PM in response to Fl@vio

Insert the DVD and connect the USB drive. Launch the Disk Utility application. If you haven't already done so, partition the USB drive in GUID Partition Table format, with a single partition in Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) format. Select the Restore tab. Drag the icon of the DVD from the left pane of the DU window into the "Source" field. Drag the icon of the volume you created on the USB drive to the Destination field. If you already have data on the drive, select the "Erase destination" checkbox. The existing data on the drive will be lost. Click Restore. When the operation is done, boot from the USB drive to test it.

make copy of the OSX INSTALL DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.