Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending wireless network

I'm trying to set up a wireless network using the AE as my base station and the AX as my extension. I have DSL so I'm getting conflicting information about how to set up. Modem manufacturer says I should use bridge setting and configure for PPPoE. Using this configuration the AE is finally working but the AX will not find the internet. The local Mac expert at Best Buy says I should configure for WDS. Maybe I'm missing something because that didn't seem to work right either?? I am suffering from information overload from all my research and I'm still not right! Admittedly this is uncharted territory for me but I can follow directions if I can just get some that seem consistent. Can someone please help me understand what I need to do and how?

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 3:47 PM

69 replies

Jul 12, 2011 6:15 PM in response to susiebelle

First, your "main" router should be configured to connect via PPPoE and should probably not be in bridge mode.

If both your Apple base stations are 802.11n-capable, you won't need a WDS configuration. Just configure the AirPort Extreme to "allow this network to be extended" and the AirPort Express to "extend a wireless network" (presuming that's what you want).

If your AirPort Extreme is "dome-shaped" or if your AirPort Express is not a model A1264 (such as modela A1084 or A1088), then you will need to use a WDS configuration. Follow the instructions in the second message of this thread. If either of your base stations is 802.11n-capable, you'll probably have to hold down an "option" key to see the WDS options in the "Wireless Mode" setting.

Jul 12, 2011 11:03 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

I do have the 802.11n capable Extreme and Express. But this is where it gets very confusing to me. I had my wireless network set up and working but wasn't sure if it was configured properly so I asked the local Mac expert. He said set up as WDS. The Extreme, however, does not offer that configuration option but the Express does. Honestly, I've tried it all different ways, including what you suggested about extending the network. Could the new modem or the modem configuration be the problem since I was set up prior to installing a new modem? It just doesn't make sense that now my Express won't even find an internet connection and it's actually connected via an ethernet cable (which, BTW, I've checked w/ my laptop and determined to be working properly). The PPPoE set up is new to me. Maybe that's wrong, although my Extreme is working OK w/ that set up.

I am so tired and frustrated right now! I've never had to work so hard to get absolutely nowhere! I see a lot of posts in here from people struggling to set up their airport so I guess I'm not alone in my frustration though. Any help you or any one else can give will be greatly appreciated! 🙂

Susan

Jul 13, 2011 6:08 AM in response to susiebelle

Perhaps I can be of some assistance since I currently have an AirPort Extreme(n) and AirPort Express(n) setup, and have also configured a number of other networks the same way...with excellent results.

If you are willing to start over again, and discard the thoughts about using the ancient WDS method, I suggest a plan that would go something like this:

Power down the AirPort Express and leave it off until you have the AirPort Extreme configured and working well

Perform a Factory Default Reset on the AirPort Express and configure it to "Extend a wireless network" (if you want the Express to connect to the AirPort Extreme using wireless only)...or...."Create a wireless network" (If you intend to permanently connect the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express using an Ethernet cable)

If you would like to proceed with this plan, please post back to confirm and I will provide step by step instructions for you.

Jul 13, 2011 8:16 AM in response to SandyJakkalsfontein

I have a Time Capsule n version as the base station and Airport Express g version which I want to use to extend the range with. Can they be used together?

They can, but there will be a number of challenges and penalties in this type of setup:

1) You will need to use an older method to extend called WDS. Unfortunately, WDS operates only at "g" wireless speeds, so when you configure your new high speed "n" Time Capsule work in the WDS setup, it becomes a "g" wireless router and you lose a tremendous amount of performance

2) It gets worse. When you add the AirPort Express to the WDS setup, the speed on the entire network is cut in half, so you wind up with a "g" wireless network running at half speed. So, now you have lost 75-80% of the performance of which your Time Capsule is capable

3) WDS is difficult for users to configure because of its complexity.

You really have only two good options:

1) Connect the AirPort Express to the Time Capsule using a permanent Ethernet cable connection to extend that way

2) Add a new AirPort Express "n" to extend using wireless only and maintain full "n" performance on the network. Another added bonus is that this type of setup is also much easier to configure

The Apple Online Store sells refurbished AirPort Express devices (which look brand new and have a full one year warranty) for $69. They are $99 at a retail store of your choice.

Bottom line....I would strongly recommend that you avoid WDS because you will lose far more than you gain.

Jul 13, 2011 11:11 AM in response to susiebelle

Dont listen to anyone whom suggests that extending a network wirelessly is a good idea. I have tried this multiple times with an Airport Extreme as my primary router and using an Airport Express to extend the network. You lose lots of bandwidth, and it is VERY unstable. If you are willing to unplug your Airport Express weekly and reconfigure the network weekly, then go for it, but if you want a stable network use a WDS, but be wared, you have to connect the 2 units together via ethernet hard connection, which may not be practical for you. I finally gave up and decided to get a NEW Airport Extreme (5th generation) which has been getting fantastic reviews regarding a huge increase in power/wireless strength signal.

Jul 13, 2011 11:15 AM in response to susiebelle

susiebelle wrote:

I asked the local Mac expert. He said set up as WDS.

Go with Bob Timmons' advice. That "local Mac expert" needs to upgrade his expertise.

The Extreme, however, does not offer [the WDS] configuration option but the Express does.

This is no longer relevant to what you have to do, but on some newer Apple Wi-Fi routers you have to hold down an "option" key to see the WDS options in the "Wireless Mode" list.

Jul 13, 2011 11:32 AM in response to mcyhetboy

but if you want a stable network use a WDS, but be wared, you have to connect the 2 units together via ethernet hard connection, which may not be practical for you.

You are quite confused here. WDS is used when devices communicate with each other using wireless only. If both devices are both connected using Ethernet, this is a "roaming" network. WDS settings would not be used in this type of configuration unless you wanted to significantly degrade your performance.

Jul 13, 2011 1:03 PM in response to susiebelle

OK, thanks. We'll try the easy way first, and if that does not work out, there are other approaches as well.

I will assume that you have your AirPort Extreme functioning normally, but there is a setting that you will need to check and also a few settings to jot down because they may be needed when the AirPort Express is set up.

Leave the AirPort Express powered off for the moment and open AirPort Utility, select your AirPort Extreme if it is not already selected, and click Manual Setup at the bottom of the window.

Click the Wireless tab located just below the row of icons

Make sure that there is a check mark in the box next to "Allow this network to be extended"

Jot down the name of the wireless network and also the exact setting that you see for Wireless Security. I assume that you know your wireless network password

Click Update if you made any changes and allow the AirPort Extreme to restart, which will take 25-30 seconds.

Next, we want to perform a Factory Default Reset on the AirPort Express to get it back to default settings so that it can be configured again. Move the Express close to the AirPort Extreme and your computer.

Hold in the small reset button on the Express (next to the audio port) with an unfolded paperclip or something similar and keep holding it in while you plug the Express back in to power.

Keep holding another 10-12 seconds after you plug it back in and then release the reset button

Allow 40-45 seconds for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light.

If you have a spare Ethernet cable handy, temporarily connect your computer and the Express together. If you don't have an Ethernet cable, we will use wireless to configure the Express.

Open AirPort Utility and the AirPort Express should appear. If you use wireless to connect, you may be asked to "Switch" networks, that's OK, allow the switch to occur.

Click Continue to follow the guided setup in AirPort Utility

Step 1 will ask you to assign a name and device password. Write the password down for future reference. You can edit the name as you wish if you do not want to use the name that AirPort Utility suggests

Step 2 click the "join my current network" option

Step 3 click the "Join" option again

Step 4 click the small arrow on the selection box next to wireless network name and the name of the AirPort Extreme network should appear. Click it to select it.

Make sure that Wireless Security is the same setting that you wrote down when you checked the AirPort Extreme setting. Enter you wireless network password and confirm.

Important.....Be sure to enter a check mark in the box next to "Extend the range of this network"

Step 5 click Update. As oon as you see the message that the settings have been stored successfully, close AirPort Utility and disconnect the Ethernet cable if you used it.

Wait 40-45 seconds for the Express to restart. If the settings are correct, you will see a green light.

Now, move the Express to a location that is approximately half the distance from the AirPort Extreme and the area that needs more wireless coverage and let it restart. Be sure that you log back on to your AirPort Extreme network with your computer and you should be in business.

Please post on your results.

Jul 13, 2011 4:37 PM in response to susiebelle

Wow! Thank you Mr. Bob Timmons. I'd been struggling for two weeks trying to extend our wireless network and came across this support discussion. Followed your instructions and it worked!!! I did have to reset my Airport Extreme first since it had been screwed up with two weeks of my relentless abuse trying to get things to work.

Jul 13, 2011 6:49 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob...set up problem right out of the start gate. This all goes back to my new modem I'm afraid. I have DSL and just purchased an Actiontec GT701D modem to replace a problematic (or so I thought) modem supplied by my ISP. When I told the Actiontec technician that I planned to set up a wireless network, he walked me through bridging my modem to the router (my Extreme) and said that was the only way to make my network wireless. Because of this set-up, I cannot select Extend a wireless network on the Extreme because it automatically defaults to bridging my connection (grayed in) and I cannot select my PPPoE internet connection or input my account info to access the internet. When I use your selections, I immediately lose my internet when I update my changes and have to reset my Extreme. So, w/ my Create a wireless setting on the Extreme, I went ahead and tried to set up my Express. I will NOT find the internet connection, even when it's attached via an ethernet cable. What else do you have in your bag of tricks?? What if I go back to my old modem?? It may be my DSL that's more problematic than my modem! I will await your good advice. 🙂

Jul 13, 2011 7:04 PM in response to susiebelle

On your AirPort Extreme....open AirPort Utility and click Manual Setup

Click the Wireless tab below the row of icons. Your settings should look like this:

Wireless Mode = Create a wireless network

Wireless Network Name = Your choice

Enter a check mark next to Allow this network to be extended

Radio Mode = Automatic

Radio Channel = Automatic

Wireless Security = WPA2 Personal

Wireless Password = Your password

Confirm Password

Click the Internet icon

What is the setting that you see for Connect Using?

Extending wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.