Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem gettin' rid of Parallels 6

I just uninstalled (through AppCleaner) Parallels 6.

First time i rebootet my mbp it ( i didn't have time to see properly) did throw a few messages.. paralles.something.something.

It didn't when I once again rebooted.

But (I'm using little snitch, which prompts for me to allow everytime a program whats to connect to the internet)

when I log in and start up I get a message that download.parallels.com want to connect..

Where are all parallels **** stored?

Checked extenstion, LaunchAgent & LauchDaeomen.. But Now I'm reachin' out..

This is a common problem,

Every time I (or someone else) uninstall an Application (even with some program that are supposet to clean up)

There's always some files left behind.

Where IS everything stored?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 12:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 1:46 AM

IMO none of these so-call uninstallers can do a complete job of removing all the potential stuff that can be installed and/or created by some apps, etc.

I haven't tried installing Parallels yet (it's on my to-do list) or I could tell you exactly what it installs*. So this is some general suggestions...

You say you looked at the LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons. Did you look at both the ones in your user library (~/Library) and the ones in /Library? Did you check your login items in your System Preferences Accounts? Have you checked the StartupItems directories in /Library (and possibly ~/Library)?

* One way I use to track what something installs and creates is to use fseventer. It graphically shows file system changes. So I run it during installs and first executions of stuff and keep a record of all the stuff that the app, etc. in question creates. Then, if I later need to uninstall it I can clean it all out. It still takes some understanding of the system however to be able to know what's pertinent in the fseventer display and what is not.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2011 1:46 AM in response to DharmaMonie

IMO none of these so-call uninstallers can do a complete job of removing all the potential stuff that can be installed and/or created by some apps, etc.

I haven't tried installing Parallels yet (it's on my to-do list) or I could tell you exactly what it installs*. So this is some general suggestions...

You say you looked at the LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons. Did you look at both the ones in your user library (~/Library) and the ones in /Library? Did you check your login items in your System Preferences Accounts? Have you checked the StartupItems directories in /Library (and possibly ~/Library)?

* One way I use to track what something installs and creates is to use fseventer. It graphically shows file system changes. So I run it during installs and first executions of stuff and keep a record of all the stuff that the app, etc. in question creates. Then, if I later need to uninstall it I can clean it all out. It still takes some understanding of the system however to be able to know what's pertinent in the fseventer display and what is not.

Problem gettin' rid of Parallels 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.