Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.

when i try to logon my apple id on appstore on mac it says:"Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance." but it dosenot say anything on my iPad?

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 7:32 AM

127 replies

Aug 18, 2017 6:27 AM in response to peterfromdanville

I just followed these instructions and it worked perfectly. All 4 needed to be deleted. They get rebuilt when restarting. My new Mac with Sierra had been set up by my IT department using a LAN cable. No idea if that had any issue here but the WIFI could connect easily but there was no internet. Neither to the App Store nor Safari etc.

Thanks peterfromdanville

Sep 29, 2017 9:29 AM in response to charmole

You can see the rather long solution description I posted on page 7 of this and it has worked for most people, but today I have to update it because I had updated to High Sierra from Sierra and my computer kept locking up with a black screen and I had to keep turning it off and restarting it (but that's another story), so I did a time machine restore to Sierra 10.12.6 and then I could log into my iCloud and iTunes but not into the App Store. After following my instructions here several times it still didn't work. I also deleted ALL files from Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (except com.apple.Boot.plist), emptied the trash and then, before restarting, follow charmole advice and go into iTunes and first de-authorize your computer, then restart. After you restart, the first thing... the very first thing you do (close any and all windows with error messages or anything that wants you to log in) and FIRST go to iTunes and authorize your computer. Then my App Store worked fine and so far, apparently, so does everything else.

Sep 29, 2017 9:31 AM in response to spydie2

Sorry for the double post. The first one didn't post everything I wrote, so I posted it again. Then I found you can edit your post but you can't delete it. You can see the rather long solution description I posted on page 7 of this and it has worked for most people, but today I have to update it because I had updated to High Sierra from Sierra and my computer kept locking up with a black screen and I had to keep turning it off and restarting it (but that's another story), so I did a time machine restore to Sierra 10.12.6 and then I could log into my iCloud and iTunes but not into the App Store. After following my instructions here several times it still didn't work. I also deleted ALL files from Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (except com.apple.Boot.plist), emptied the trash and then, before restarting, follow charmole advice and go into iTunes and first de-authorize your computer, then restart. After you restart, the first thing... the very first thing you do (close any and all windows with error messages or anything that wants you to log in) and FIRST go to iTunes and authorize your computer. Then my App Store worked fine and so far, apparently, so does everything else.

Sep 29, 2017 10:10 AM in response to spydie2

I’m going to summarize all the solutions that have worked on this apple support forum and put them into one “do-all-this” instruction. If you follow this to the letter, this should get you back into the App Store (and probably into iTunes Store if that’s your problem). At least one of these solutions have worked without doing all of them (deleting the network interface.plist), but it didn’t work for me, so if you do everything on this list, then restart your computer, there’s a 99% chance it will fix your problems. DON’T RESET YOUR PASSWORD OR CREATE ANOTHER ACCOUNT TO TRY TO BYPASS THIS PROBLEM.

1. Go to your hard drive (not your username) Library/Preferences/Systemconfiguration folder and delete EVERY plist in it except com.apple.Boot.plist. (this is all safe because all plists will be re-made when you restart your computer)

2. Go to your system preferences/network and delete your wifi connection and any LAN or LAN USB connections you have. These will all be automatically re-made when you start your computer.

3. Open iTunes and depending on which version you have you will see “store” or “account” in the menu at the top. Open that and click on “authorizations” and then de-authorize your computer. (This is safe, we’ll re-authorize it shortly)

4. Empty your trash

5. Restart your computer. AS SOON AS IT STARTS, CLOSE ALL WINDOWS AND ERROR WINDOWS. DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY OF THEM YET.

6. The FIRST thing you now have to do is open iTunes and go back to “store” or “accounts” and click on “authorizations” and authorize your computer. Now everything should work fine. Open the App Store and click on purchases. Sign in if it asks you to with your Apple ID. It should now work fine.

Jul 20, 2011 6:16 PM in response to martinfromoutofdenmark

My app store is broken as well. It will not allow log on download programs or update anything currently installed. I've tried twice to contact Apple Support on this issue and they have miss guided and been otherwise useless. I too believe its a glitch with in App Store itself. I know my account information because I use it at work and log on everyday manually.

Jul 20, 2011 6:57 PM in response to martinfromoutofdenmark

According to the Rep I spoke with on Phone via 1-800-MY-APPLE

About this "authentication/verification/validation/etc" situation

Apple's Servers are so overloaded/swamped/maxed-out/etc they're having some problems

Imagine everyone try to get through door at same time as DoorMan try to check ID's - dig ?

Appears Lion is very popular

Try again later - all we can do

Jul 21, 2011 10:06 AM in response to martinfromoutofdenmark

Ok - this *maybe* seems a solution, least appears to be working for me

Created an entirely New Apple ID - New Password, etc - for App Store

This is in addition to the current one I still have with Apple (in general, used to get to this discussion)

And also use same one for iTunes, but ONLY at iTunes - is 'no go' for App Store

Which is to say - I now have 2 Apple ID's - one for Apple/iTunes and one for App Store

Yes, a pain in butt, but may be only solution until "something" gets fixed ?

Also, in case it matters in the Grand Scheme of Things ....

I was one of those who got hacked last Summer/Fall in the Great China iTunes Hackfest

Yes, 1/2 my bad for not having a 'hard(er/est) password' - but that's now corrected

And Thank You Apple for restoring the $20.00 to my iTunes Account

Thought all issues/matters in that regard were now 'fixed' ?

Maybe not ? Least not regarding the App Store ?

Again, YOU go create a new ID/Password - might 'work' for you too

Then perhaps you can get Lion

Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.