Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2011 10:03 PM by AceNeerav Branched to a new discussion.
AceNeerav Level 1 Level 1
expertise.notebooks
Notebooks

I'm not enrolled as a developer so the check for updates in itunes doesn't show me any iOS updates for my iPhone 4 but a friend of mine told me its possible to upgrade the iOS to 5 with beta releases even if ur not a developer. I have an officially sold factory unlocked iPhone 4 here in India. I wanted to know if I should go ahead with the upgrade?

Since its beta and can have bugs, will I be allowed to downgrade?

Please give me your suggestion.

Neerav

MacBook 7,1, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone 4
Solved by Julian Wright on Jul 13, 2011 8:34 AM Solved
Only registered developers can use the iOS 5 beta. Anyone else using it has obtained them from unofficial (and possibly illegal) sources. If you're not a developer who needs to test his Apps on the new OS, why would you want to risk running beta, and possibly buggy, software? Wait until the final, ready-to-use, release.
Reply by Tamara on Jul 13, 2011 8:42 AM Helpful
You cannot downgrade and the iOS 5 beta is only available to registered developers. Get it from any other source and you're asking for trouble.
Reply by modular747 on Jul 13, 2011 8:56 AM Helpful
Not only can you NOT downgrade, but pirating  this private beta is a criminal violation under all intellectual property and copyright laws.

All replies

• Julian Wright Level 7 Level 7

Only registered developers can use the iOS 5 beta. Anyone else using it has obtained them from unofficial (and possibly illegal) sources.

If you're not a developer who needs to test his Apps on the new OS, why would you want to risk running beta, and possibly buggy, software?

Wait until the final, ready-to-use, release.

• Tamara Level 6 Level 6

You cannot downgrade and the iOS 5 beta is only available to registered developers. Get it from any other source and you're asking for trouble.

• KiltedTim Level 9 Level 9

If you do, don't come whining to us when your phone becomes a brick.

• modular747 Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone

Not only can you NOT downgrade, but pirating  this private beta is a criminal violation under all intellectual property and copyright laws.

expertise.iphone
    iPhone

I've heard that US Predator drones with Hellfire missiles may be targeting iPhones with illicit iOS 5 installed...

• AceNeerav Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

I get the picture. It's not legal. Worst, not downgradbale. I don't want to turn my new chic iPhone 4 buggy! But some curiosity, as I would be enrolling in about 4 months to iOS development, when developers try new betas and if it turns their iPhones into a brick, what do they do?

expertise.iphone
    iPhone

Developers agree to install the beta only in devices dedicated to development and beta testing, not devices they use for personal or business purposes. 

Developers know how to "un-brick" if necessary.  (Virtually all truly bricked iPhones occur because of prior hacking, commonplace among those who pirate private betas).

AceNeerav wrote:

I get the picture. It's not legal. Worst, not downgradbale. I don't want to turn my new chic iPhone 4 buggy! But some curiosity, as I would be enrolling in about 4 months to iOS development, when developers try new betas and if it turns their iPhones into a brick, what do they do?

Actually, it IS illegal. You don't have to believe that, but it won't change reality.

expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

I had once hacked my old iPhone 3G to get battery % and multitasking. Then when I restored to factory with original firmware and synced back my backup, inspite of not hacking it again the battery % appeared! It got carried forward to my iPhone 4 as well and as a result I cannot disable the battery % on my new phone. I also feel a lot of lag in typing like right now as I'm typing this. Unfortunately the only suggestion I was given was to start all over. But I could as my games had saved history. I am wondering if these hack leftovers will be carried over to icloud as well with ios5. Should I just start over?

expertise.iphone
    iPhone

There are settings and hacks left over that can be transferred in the phone backup.  I suggest restoring as new, without the backup to clean out any residual crap that could bite you in the future.

• varjak paw Level 10 Level 10

I think you misread, Tim. Ace said "It's not legal". Perhaps you misread and thought he's said "It's not illegal".

Regards.

You're right. Sorry about that. Guess I need to up my afternoon caffiene intake.

expertise.notebooks
    Notebooks

actually i was thinking that if these settings and hacks are not a part of app data then maybe i could use icloud to backup my app data, restore to factory, and then restore from icloud? that way i can still have my app data without the hacks and settings.

could you verify this?

Neerav

• varjak paw Level 10 Level 10

iCloud has not been released yet, so no, no one can verify anything to do with iCloud. Nor can anyone verify what settings are part of the backup in iOS 5, nor discuss hacks at all.

Previous 1 2 Next