Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

solution for frequent BSOD on MBP under W7, WXP boot camped

caution - tested on MBP 17 2.93 with nforce chipset against W7 x32 pro, W7 x64 pro, WXP 32 with bootcamp 2.x - 4.0 in any combinations

sympthoms - fresh installed Windows runs fine, immediately after installing bootcamp components begin to BSOD with different messages, explorer relaunches, very unstable, unpredictable, mostly can not work under network and/or hard drive load. Usually can not istall windows updates becoase of BSOD in process - but YMMW.

Found solution:

immediately after installing bootcamp components go to device manager, find and disable nVidia System Management Controller in system devices section.

Side effects not found

Fun control works as usual

No need to modify registry on nVidia drivers, no need to disable CPU/GPU stepping.

Not tested runtime on battery power.

Question is more of asking for statistics - if anyone would try, I'd like to know how it goes.

I suppose that similar approach would help on other models - mean not based on nVidia chipsets. There surely are SMC unit of some manufacturer - try to disable it.

Yes it is helpful and useful thing under Mac OS - but it looks like Windows just doesn't know what to do with SMC

2-nd question - if any can provide me a brief info on SMC under Windows functionality, it'll be of great help.

ps. If yours carma is really bad and it does not help - roll back drivers on network and all you can in System device section to microsoft ones.

MacBook Pro, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 1:47 PM

Use Boot Camp 3.2.

you may need to rename and that way disable AppleHFS.sys and AppleMNT.sys - the HFS+ component to read from HFS volumes.

Install paragon HFS9 to allow read/write from Windows instead.

Use the latest nvidia mobility graphiic driver from June or July, beta is fine, but you need nvidia's and not Apple's.

If that isn't what you asked or wanted, sorry.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2011 1:47 PM in response to dm_dimon

Use Boot Camp 3.2.

you may need to rename and that way disable AppleHFS.sys and AppleMNT.sys - the HFS+ component to read from HFS volumes.

Install paragon HFS9 to allow read/write from Windows instead.

Use the latest nvidia mobility graphiic driver from June or July, beta is fine, but you need nvidia's and not Apple's.

If that isn't what you asked or wanted, sorry.

Jul 13, 2011 3:11 PM in response to The hatter

thenks, but you get me wrong )

I offer a solution - and asking for statistics and usage cases on hardware that I don't own / dont have problems on

There are a bunch of MBP's that work unstable even with best/latest drivers under windows - I meet at least 2 plus one I personally own with similar symptoms, so I beleive that I pinpointed source of problems for that class of troubles, offering a solution and asking for feedback, if any.

I think it's mostly MBP 2008 - 2009 with nForce motherboard chipset bound problem, but who knows.

Thanks anyway

solution for frequent BSOD on MBP under W7, WXP boot camped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.