Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CNN Live Player Does Not Display Video

Hi everyone,

I've seen a couple threads similar to this, but I haven't really found any answers.

My problem is with the CNN live player. When I go to watch a live stream, the window opens up fine, I see the whole commercial, but the video is just grey. The sound does come through, but the video doesn't. I have Flip4Mac and Perian currently installed, I've tried removing both, but it doesn't help the issue at all. I've also followed instructions on CNN's page about clearing the cache, etc. all to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Unibody MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 1:40 PM

11 replies

Jul 18, 2011 1:19 PM in response to etnafolks

I FINALLY found a solution to this problem, after getting an email from a very nice CNN tech agent:

Right click on the grayed-out video stream

Then, select Settings

Then, click on the Display tab to the far left

Then, click on the box that says "Enable hardware acceleration" so that it is unchecked or disabled.

Then, click Close

Lastly, refresh the live video web page.

The video stream should be displaying properly now.

Hope this helps everyone!

Jan 5, 2013 6:56 AM in response to etnafolks

I had the same problem, CNN video not playing in Safari. I tried all the suggestions listed and nothing worked.

It finally doned on me that I had an ad blocker called 'Glimmer blocker'. I deactivated it and now all is well.

The CNN videos play. Each video is preceded by and advertisement and that was being blocked and killed the

video.

CNN Live Player Does Not Display Video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.