Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule issue with 2 computers

I just bought a new iMac (SSD+1TB, 8GB RAM) and setup Time Machine using my 2TB AirPort Extreme Time Capsule. I also have a white MacBook that has been using this as a Time Machine disk. After synching with my iMac, my TM backups on the TC are no longer available to the MacBook and the MacBook says it can't find the TM backup disk. I option-clicked the TM logo in the menubar to browse for all TM disks on the network, but the screen is blank. Now, I know that the backup is still on there, since the 2TB TC shows that 1.15TB are available. Therefore, almost 1TB is used up with TM backups. How can I access this without losing the backup data? I have had to go into TM a lot lately, since I had a program update (non-apple software) that was causing kernel panics. So, I was using TM to grab older copies of files that got corrupted with the kernel panics. Why would the iMac TM backup wipe out the MacBook preferences? I am synching with MobileMe, as well. There are 4 macs and an iPhone synching with my MobileMe account. (iMac, 2 macbooks, old G4 and iPhone 4). Can anyone lead me to a quick and easy solution for this?

I should mention that I have now selected the DATA folder on the TC as the TM backup, since there appeared to be a sparse bundle there for each of the two computers I have recently backed up: the MacBook and the new iMac.

FOLLOWUP: I am able to make the TM backup work on the MacBook now, after choosing the DATA folder on the TC as the backup disk. I was also able to enter TM and go back to April 1, which is when I first used TM on that disk. All solved, I hope!

Many thanks,

K

Message was edited by: KT

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), SSD+ 1TB, 8GB RAM

Posted on Jul 13, 2011 9:51 PM

There are no replies.

Time Capsule issue with 2 computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.