4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2011 10:42 AM by Pondini
Jeff Kjoller Level 1 (5 points)

I've always kept my data files in a folder called "Data" in the root folder (Macintosh HD). Someone told me it's better if you do not store data files on the root directory but rather in your user folder in the documents folder.

I'm the only user of this computer so there is no security issues.

27" iMac, 3.2 GHz i3, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • captfred Level 7 (26,290 points)

It's better to keep them under your user directory.  The issue will come when you migrate to a new system and the setup assistant doesn't copy your "data".  It's easy enough to copy manually but why not keep everything for your userid together.

Regards,

Captfred

• Terence Devlin Level 10 (137,940 points)

Another reason for the User folder: just about every app defaults to there for saving. I can see no advantage whatever in storing fils in the Root level and significant inconvenience

Regards

TD

• Linc Davis Level 10 (192,629 points)

Even though most Macs have only one regular user, the Mac OS supports multiple users. Each one stores his or her personal data in a separate home folder. The rest of the filesystem is for files common to all users. To avoid problems, don't interfere with that model.

• Pondini Level 8 (38,740 points)

Some folks do that on Wndoze, but OSX works best, in almost all circumstances, with OSX, apps, and data on the same partition.  That optimizes efficient use of the disk, and minimizes seek times.

Having data on a separate physical drive, however, is a different story.  Many users with SSDs and HDs in their Macs put OSX and apps on the SSD, data on the HD, and report better performance.