Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird fonts on web pages

I think this might be an OSX question; On some websites, the 'standard' fonts have been replaced with a more futuristic looking font that I don't recognise. This also happens on other websites when I zoom in or out of the web page. Could this be malware?

The same thing happens in Firefox and Safari, this is what makes me think it might be an OS issue. All software updates are up to date.

Thanks

Here's a image of how the font is looking:

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 10:13 AM

5 replies

Jul 14, 2011 2:04 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi there,

I'm a graphic designer and I use Suitcase to manage my fonts but I haven't installed any fonts recently. I don't even think I've got the font that is being substituted on the websites! It's not all websites though, that's why I thought it might just be the browser preferences that had been corrupted somehow.

However my default Firefox font is Times and in Safari the standard font is Times New Roman; the fixed width font being courier. But that weird font is certainly not any of them.

I've tried opening Font Book and that font isn't in the list and there are no major errors with any of the other fonts.

This seems to have just happened out of the blue so I'm tempted to back up all the work I've done in the last day or two and then use Time Machine to go back a couple of days and see if that might solve it.

This is definitley very strange!

Jul 14, 2011 2:20 PM in response to wyndzor

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, it will try to repair your Disk Directory while the spinning radian is happening, so let it go... this will also clear the Font Caches, which might be something to do with it.

Jul 14, 2011 2:42 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn you little beauty!

I clicked on your link and read through the CNET article and in it there was a link,
http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html

this proved to be very helpful. About two thirds of the way down this article was a piece about good/bad free fonts, one of which that was mentioned is Alien or Alien League. Well I looked at the weird font my safari was churning out and it was flipping Alien! Apparently it's badly designed and has Arial named in the coding which confused the mac. This caused the webpages to be displayed in what it thought was Arial but it was actually Alien.

Case solved. I trashed that little font quicker than a collection of junk mail!

I only downloaded the font in the first place because my friend wanted an Alien themed poster for his student election campaign. Which he didn't win.

Anyway, happy now it's sorted out and thanks to everyone for their help. I'm going to celebrate with a beverge.

Weird fonts on web pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.