Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Play Overdrive Media Books on an iPod Shuffle 4th Gen

Hi,

Many libraries use Overdrive Media to manage audio books in various formats. Once you have downloaded the book to the Overdrive Media Console on your computer, you can then choose to transfer it to a device (such as an iPod or other mp3 player). When transferring WMA files with an iPod shuffle 4th Gen (I'm not sure about other gens) this creates a number of files with bizzare titles. When you go to the book section on the iPod it will play the first section and then it will just continually loop and you never go on to the next section. After working with this for a while I've figured out how to make this work. This is not what I consider a satisfactory solution but more of a work-around. I hope that Apple will produce a fix that will remedy this situation as a lot of people download audio books from the library.

1. When you transfer WMA audiobook content to your iPod, Overdrive Media does it via iTunes. I believe it usese iTunes to perform a file conversion. Once the conversion is complete, it transfers the converted file to your shuffle. If you watch this occur, you will notice that while it is converting the file, it assigns it a strange number like 10347. As each part of the book is transferred, write down its number. You have to catch it during the conversion as once the part is converted it reverts to its title (something like "Where the Red Fern Grows Part 01"). But that title is never transferred to the iPod. It retains the strange number.

2. You will notice that as each file is converted, the number goes up. So as you write them down, they will look like 10347, 11671, 12003, 12865... etc. I have no idea what these numbers mean but they become your section titles on the audio when the Voiceover button is pressed. One other thing, sometimes the numbers restart like so: 18567, 19325, 345, 907... Again, not sure why but you must keep the order they were converted and transferred as this is the order in which you'll want to play them back.

3. Now you will have a list of numbers indicating the different parts of the book. Turn on your iPod and use the Skip Forward button to until you hear the book start. Listen to the fist section until you hear it start to repeat. There will be no pause or anything so sometimes it is hard to pick up where the part ended. Once the part has ended, hold the Voiceover button and listen to the strange number. Next press the Skip Back button and listen to the other strange numbers which will be in order, last-to-first. When you get to the number indicating the next part, press the Play button and you will now be on the next part.

NOTE: if you press the play button on the wrong part (strange number), it will shuffle that part to the end of the playlist. But if you have the part numbers written down in order this won't be a problem. Also, if you hit the forward skip or backwards skip while playing a part, it will skip to some place in that part. You can get back to your original spot by skipping again a few times more in the same direction.

EXAMPLE:

Let's say you are transferring a 4 part book to the iPod. During this transfer you note the strange numbers during conversion like so:

Part 1 = 11278

Part 2 = 11942

Part 3 = 12512

Part 4 = 13398

Now your book is on the Shuffle. Turn on the Shuffle and listen for the start of the book. If it is playing something else like music or a podcast, press the Skip Forward button until you hear the audiobook begin. This is usually accompanied by music and has the title of the book, etc. At this point you can press and hold the Voiceover button and you will hear "11278" pronounced. Release the Voiceover button and let this part of the book play to the end.

You will then at some point hear that part of the book start over. Press and hold the Voiceover button and start using the Skip Back button. You will hear in this order: "11278, 13398, 12512, 11942". When you hear "11942" press the Play button and Part 2 of the book will begin. Continue this process for each part until you reach the end of the book.

I've listened to several books using this method and it has worked fine. It is sort of fiddly and you have to do some things that I think iTunes or the Shuffle should do but until Apple does something about this, it is the only way that it will work that I've been able to find.

Regards,

medinabrett

iPod shuffle, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 12:51 PM

4 replies

Jul 18, 2011 3:31 AM in response to medinabrett

It sounds like the Windows Media security update in Para x, below, may not have been done and your music setting may have been on Repeat. As a review, here is a list of steps that may help clear the problems up.

Many libraries worldwide now use Overdrive Media Console, which comes in Mac an Windows versions http://www.overdrive.com/Software/omc . Some find the mobile device transfer process confusing. To load or delete a WMA or MP3 (Macs can only download MP3 books) audiobook onto an Apple mobile device see the "How to Transfer to a Portable Device" video in the guides at Step 7, then do the following.

1. For Windows versions, you must first do a security update of Windows Media Player (even though you won't be using it) using Internet Explorer at http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/indivsite .

2. Open iTunes, plug the mobile device into the computer USB port and open the Overdrive Media Console.

3. Highlight the mobile device in the left hand menu of iTunes and insure the "Manually manage music and videos" box is checked in the Summary Tab. If the mobile device storage is full, transfering will delete that portion of music necessary for the ebook.

4. Highlight the book you want to transfer in the Overdrive Media Console and click the Transfer Button. A window opens permitting you to click the boxes for parts of the book you wish to transfer.

5. After the book has been transfered, when you click the disclosure triangle (arrow) to the left of the iPod, iPhone, or iPad in the Device section of the left hand menu of iTunes, MP3 books will show up under the Music subsection and WMA books will show up in the Books subsection. Once the mobile device is disconnected from iTunes, MP3 books will show up in the Songs list of the mobile device and WMA books will show up in the Books list.

6. To remove a book from a mobile device plug the device into the USB port and open iTunes. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of your iPod, iPhone, or iPad in the Device section of the left hand menu of iTunes so that you can see the device’s subcontents. For an MP3 book select the Music subsection, right click on the book and choose Delete. For a WMA book, select the Book subsection, right click on the book and choose Delete.

7. The Overdrive Media Console Guided Tour (videos) is at http://www.overdrive.com/Solutions/Libraries/tour/MenuWelcome.html . The "Portable Devices" and "How to Transfer to a Portable Device" videos are there.

8. To find a nearby library for ebooks search http://search.overdrive.com . You can download the software, search for books and see tutorials without an account at the website of any library that uses Overdrive, however, you need a library card to download books. At this library site, for example, the software and guided tour are at the bottom of the left hand menu.

http://washoecounty.lib.overdrive.com/539A4B98-B41A-49DE-8EC1-A22F66E4C0F6/10/41 9/en/default.htm .

Jul 18, 2011 8:50 AM in response to cyberbiker

Thanks for the reply. I've definitely made the security update you mention. Overdrive will not work at all without that Media Player update. The switch on the iPod has definitely been in the center position which is the setting for sequential play but not repeat. Putting the switch full on engages shuffle which is not something you would want on an audio book. Other than that, I can't see a way to engage or disengage repeat. My iTunes is on manual mode for managing content.

The other steps you outline are exactly as I follow with respect to transfering the book. The problem seems to occur between steps 4 and 5 when the titles get mis-named to the strange numbers. You can see this happen if you watch the transfer on iTunes. Then when you press the Voiceover button you will hear these numbers as the title of each part of the book. I think that the main problem is in the transfer, not in the operation of the shuffle.

Regards,

medinabrett

Sep 8, 2011 5:39 PM in response to medinabrett

Hello. I work at a library that subscribes to thethe OverDrive database. I had the same problem you did so I asked the support people how to fix it. Here's the response I was given:

1. Transfer a title to your iPod Shuffle using the transfer wizard in

OverDrive Media Console as you normally would.

2. After the transfer is complete, launch iTunes.

3. Right-click on your iPod's name under ’Devices’ on the left hand side

of the iTunes interface and select the 'New Playlist' option.

4. Give the playlist a name of your choice.

5. Go the 'Books' section on your iPod Shuffle.

6. Click and drag all parts of the transferred title from the 'Books'

section to your newly created playlist.

7. Go to your newly created playlist and verify that the parts are in

the correct order by part.

8. Eject your iPod.

9. Place your iPod Shuffle in the 'Play in order' mode. Press the

VoiceOver button and when you hear the name of the playlist you created,

press the VoiceOver button or Play/Pause button to select it.

I haven't had any "looping" issues since I started doing this. HOWEVER, I've never heard it say the playlist name when I push the VoiceOver button. I just try to be very careful not to touch any buttons while I'm listening as I'm not good at going from chapter to chapter (or within chapters). The OverDrive support team has always been very responsive to any questions I've asked. If you have other issues, I suggest you contact your library and have a staff member email OverDrive.

How to Play Overdrive Media Books on an iPod Shuffle 4th Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.