Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major Bug GB '09 -- No Audio with Full Waveform

I'd like Apple to see this as it needs to be addressed in a future update!

I'm running GarageBand '09 (version 5.1 -- 398), for starters.

I was working to reorganize the folder where I store my GB sessions and I renamed it a few days ago. Yes, knowing full well that I might have some challenges, perhaps with existing projects or files. Not a big deal as all of my projects have already been exported to MP3 files.

I started a new session tonight, by doing the following. I opened one of my existing sessions for my podcast and then saved it as a new session. When I opened the existing session, GB complained about a missing file and I told it to skip it. All the audio was still there in the tracks, and since I was just going to 'save as' and make a new session anyway, I thought nothing of it. So, I saved it as a new session, deleted the audio within the track and got ready to record.

As I started my podcast and was recording, I could see the audio waveform being recorded as it usually does and everything was going along fine. Once the show ended, I stopped recording and went back through a bit of the recording to check it, as I always do. To my surprise, the waveform was there, but nothing played back! I immediately checked that I could get sound from other programs, and the sound was fine. Garageband had apparently recorded to NOWHERE! How can it show the waveform and yet record NOTHING?

I checked the contents of the GB session in Finder and found the 'Media' folder empty of any audio files. And, there don't appear to be any other 'temp' files to recover from. This was a really amazing interview and I am completely ****** that I wasted my guests' time and have nothing to show for it now.

Why, why would garageband allow a recording to happen when it 'knew' that there was a problem and it was not actually writing a file out with the recording? This completely baffles me! This must be fixed. Garageband should have established a new 'recording' file at least _somewhere_ so that I could recover from this, but it is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND! I even checked the session that I 'saved as' from and it does not contain my 'lost audio' -- although it still has its own files and the session's audio plays fine in GB.

Sorry Apple. This time, it just didn't work. I am buying a separate digital audio recorder as a backup. But to be honest, this type of software fault is inexcusable.

Thanks,

--Joe

GarageBand '09, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 10:20 PM

There are no replies.

Major Bug GB '09 -- No Audio with Full Waveform

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.