Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem startup_dock dissapeared

Hi I have been having problems for a while now with my G5 and was wondering wether someone could advise appropiately.I have checked the apple forums and tried various things but they don't seem to work.

First on the board is the fact that my dock refuses to appear,I have checked dock prefs and have tried deleting the dock playlist as I read somewhere but no luck.My main problem with this is that I cannot locate the Trash to completely delete it's contents.

So 1. Any suggestions on how to get back my dock and 2. Where do I locate the trash (without going through the dock) ?

My other problem which is worse is the fact that when I try to switch my G5 I get the click sound from the computer switch plus a red light but it doesnt start up ! I found out that my computer would eventually start up by removing the power cord,waiting 10/15mins and then plugging back on the power cord and switching on,but that doesn't look too healthy.

And yet another problem which has added to the list these past days is that sometimes when switched on (mainly working on final cut...original verion) all fans go to the max and the computer freezes forcing me to shut down via the computers main switch,which then I have to un plug the power cord and wait the 10/15mins to switch back on.

Right now I am working back and forth between my G5 and Powerbook on a couple of projects and wouldnt like to have to reinstall system cds until I finish them off,But if you have any suggestions I would be most grateful.

Thanks so much

Dan

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Dual 2 GHz PPC G5 _ 4.5 GB DDR2 SDR

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 1:54 AM

1 reply

Jul 15, 2011 2:20 AM in response to kkita75

Hi-

I get the click sound from the computer switch plus a red light but it doesnt start up !

It sounds as if the PSU is failing.

You are likely living on borrowed time.

At a minimum, blowing all the accumulated dust from the interior of the PSU is needed.

This will help prolong the inevitable.

And yet another problem which has added to the list these past days is that sometimes when switched on (mainly working on final cut...original verion) all fans go to the max and the computer freezes forcing me to shut down

This could be a symptom related to the reason that your Dock doesn't work- you may have severe drive directory damage and repair of the drive is necessary.

At a minimum, boot to the OS install disc and run "Repair Disk" on the boot drive using Disk Utility.

If you have Disk Warrior, that is much better.

I cannot locate the Trash to completely delete it's contents.

Menu Bar/Finder/Empty Trash

problem startup_dock dissapeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.