Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATV2 losing AppleID for private network

Hi,

since a couple of days I am owner of an ATV2. Installation went well without major problem (Apple like 🙂), and first test run was without problem. Yesterday I wanted to watch a video out of my media library and photos, but after app. 15/20 minutes ATV2 disconnected and asked me to activate the AppleID in iTunes for private streaming. Strange: the ID is active. The only solution which helps is to disconnect ATV2 completely (unplug from power) and restart. Then it connects again and works for another 10 minutes or so, then the game repeats. this is not what I expected from this cute piece of hardware. 😠

My setup:

iMAC 27" 3.06GHz

Mac OS X 10.6.8

iTunes 10.3.1

router is TimeCapsule version 7.5.2

repeater is Airport Express

ATV2 Gen 2 with latest software update (just two days ago downloaded)

Power saving setup: computer sleep mode after 3 hours, wake-up from network allowed

Has anybody a good idea what to do, to get this up and running flawlessly?

Thanks, Gerhard

AppleTV 2, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 5:57 AM

6 replies

Jul 15, 2011 6:45 AM in response to gerhardfromtiefenbach

There are quite a few reports of people losing contact with homesharing when either the computer or the Apple TV goes to sleep. I don't have this problem myself but have been unable to help most people who do. Yours problem is obviously different since you lose connection while streaming when both devices aren't asleep.

My initial thoughts are network problems, have you tried changing wifi channels to avoid interference or downloaded and run iStumbler to check for neighbouring networks using the same channel as you.

Jul 16, 2011 12:48 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:

There are quite a few reports of people losing contact with homesharing when either the computer or the Apple TV goes to sleep. I don't have this problem myself but have been unable to help most people who do. Yours problem is obviously different since you lose connection while streaming when both devices aren't asleep.

My initial thoughts are network problems, have you tried changing wifi channels to avoid interference or downloaded and run iStumbler to check for neighbouring networks using the same channel as you.

Winston, it seems to be a network problem as you initially thought. I have intentionally deactivated my Airport Express (APE), since I observed occasional disconnects (blinking YELLOW) and by iStumbler I found unstable signal strength in the living room. This could have caused the disconnects of ATV2. Since APE is disconnected, the signal strength in the living room is just 30% in average, certainly too low for the long run, but ATV was stable streaming my videos for more than 1 hour without any disconnect. APE was just 1m away from ATV2, maybe too near, so there could be interference. I will try a bit further with a different location of APE....

Jul 18, 2011 12:37 AM in response to gerhardfromtiefenbach

I'm going to close this post.

It definitely was a network interference problem. I have found a different place for my APE as repeater in the living room, several meters away from ATV, since APE no longer has to work as music interface to my home stereo. Signal strength is now stable, and ATV does not interrupt streaming at all.

Thanks to Winston for this hint....

Gerhard 🙂🙂

ATV2 losing AppleID for private network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.