Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stickies - How to get them to appear on screen at startup?

I want a simple message to appear onscreen whenever any member of my family uses my iMac when I'm away at work.

Nothing elaborate. Just something along the lines of "I installed this software today. Read 'such and such' to use it" or "So and so is not working. Don't use it. I will attempt to fix it when I get home" sort of thing.

Stickies makes the ideal messages. I can play around with the font, style, even add complex shadow effects to my text and stuff, to my hearts content using spectacular 3D effects that I couldn't even imagine on the PC at work. Great stuff!

That aside, I want them to display when I am not around (i.e. at work). But they appear only to display when Stickies has booted.

To get these onscreen messages to appear when someone other than myself starts up my iMac, is my only option to set Stickies as a 'Start Up item' ? Or is there another, more elegant, way to achieve this? I would like to be able to set a schedule for the message to appear, then vanish again when the need has dissipated. Can this be done using iCal? It would be marvellous if I could.

PowerMac 6500/300 (603e) MacOS 9.1: eMac 1.25hz G4 MacOS 10.4.10, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iMac 24" 2.8ghz G6 Intel 750gb HDD, WD MyBook 2Tb RAID 1, Airpor

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 1:50 PM

11 replies

Jul 15, 2011 2:03 PM in response to El Deanio

Couldn't find where Stickies keeps its memos - probably in a .plist somewhere.

However, what you can do is to create the memo in Stickies (if that's your preferred way), then save it as an RTF file - use the Export Text item in the File menu to do that. This will create a TextEdit file with all formatting and styling intact. I'd send it to the Desktop for convenience.

Then drag that TextEdit file to the Dock (at the right end with the folders) - pause for a space to appear, and place it on the Dock.

Then right-click or Control-click that item in the Dock, and choose the Open at Login item from the Options submenu. You may also need to choose the Keep in Dock item in the same submenu.

Jul 16, 2011 6:54 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

...Dare I suggest that you write out an actual paper sticky note and paste it on the monitor?

Yes that probably would be easiest in the long run.

Thank you all for your input.

This is what I was trying to do -

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11373233/MacDiscussions/Stickies/Screen%20shot%202011-07 -16%20at%2012.50.08.png

I think, what with its transparency and such, it looks rather nice.

I tried doing as Don suggested, pasting into the Dock. Yes this worked, but I couldn't use the fancy styling, drop shadowing, that I liked.

Found another way of dong this though.

As well as TextEdit, I did the same with NeoOffice. This worked the same as TextEdit but the app took longer to fire up. I wonder if I could save a Mail item to the desktop and do the same with that. I couldn't of course but it showed me a better method - Note.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11373233/MacDiscussions/Stickies/Screen%20shot%202011-07 -16%20at%2014.46.29.png

Same editing features as Stickies, I just need to email it instead. Not immediately on the desktop as with Stickies, but they will get a Growl notification as the message arrives.

The scripting idea sounds interesting. I'm curious about what you come up with. I've not done scripting on that Mac before. Done once or twice on the PC at work. That's an avenue on the Mac that I have yet to explore.

Jul 16, 2011 8:14 AM in response to noondaywitch

Would probably need a script rather than an alias to the app.

StartupItems are long deprecated and should be avoided entirely. They have to be in a special format that you now can't easily find documentation for. I used to know it, but have forgotten. They run only once at system startup (not when users log in), and as root.

What the OP wants could be accomplished with a LaunchAgent if he has multiple users, but that's more trouble than I think it's worth.

Stickies - How to get them to appear on screen at startup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.