Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reformatting hard drive from SL disk

How do I bring back specific files from Time Machine? I'd like to do a complete reformat without doing it from Time Machine. Ever since I updated to 10.6.8 my system just hasn't been working the same. Slow boot times, rainbow wheel keeps spinning on many of my apps. The only things I'd want to bring back is iTunes music, iPhoto pictures, a few documents and all of my internet and email settings.I know how to do the first few items but not bringing back the Internet settings and email settings. I have several email accounts and RSS feeds. Would I just restore Mail.app to bring that all back or is there a folder with my settings somewhere on the hard drive? I'm a bit lost when it comes to that. Would I need to bring back the system preferences settings to get the Internet settings and if so, how would I do that? I notice my ethernet is set to automatically detect the iPV6 if that helps. Any suggestions?

iMac 20, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 32 bit color HD2600 256 MBs ATI Graphics

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 9:30 PM

We can find out what's causing your issues, could be a simple fix.

I would of course take any opportunity to backup files to a external drive manually (no TimeM) and disconnect.

Paste this into your Terminal program and press enter. Paste the results here.

kextstat -kl | awk ' !/apple/ { print $6 } '

Programs assocaited with these kext files have been known to cause issues.

You can also run all the free OnyX maintainence and cleaning and reboot

http://www.titanium.free.fr/

Even turn off your IPv6 in your Network > Advanced > TCP/IP

See

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3802

Install Combo Update

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

You can opt to c boot off the installer disks for your OS X and simply reinstall OS X, replacing the messed up one with the older one from the disk, then find out what is your issue, what needs updating and then update to 10.6.8 again.

Reinstalling OS X this way doesn't touch your files or third party programs.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2011 9:30 PM in response to Tiery

We can find out what's causing your issues, could be a simple fix.

I would of course take any opportunity to backup files to a external drive manually (no TimeM) and disconnect.

Paste this into your Terminal program and press enter. Paste the results here.

kextstat -kl | awk ' !/apple/ { print $6 } '

Programs assocaited with these kext files have been known to cause issues.

You can also run all the free OnyX maintainence and cleaning and reboot

http://www.titanium.free.fr/

Even turn off your IPv6 in your Network > Advanced > TCP/IP

See

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3802

Install Combo Update

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

You can opt to c boot off the installer disks for your OS X and simply reinstall OS X, replacing the messed up one with the older one from the disk, then find out what is your issue, what needs updating and then update to 10.6.8 again.

Reinstalling OS X this way doesn't touch your files or third party programs.

Jul 16, 2011 7:27 AM in response to ds store

This is what I get when I paste the above afore mentioned into the Terminal window. It reads Terminal-Bash -80X24 at the top and I can't seem to delete what's inside to replace it with the instructions you gave me which are as follows;

Last login: Sat Jul 16 07:14:58 on ttys000

Thierry-Ploucharts-iMac:~ thierryplouchart$ kextstat -kl | awk ' !/apple/ { print $6 } '

Thierry-Ploucharts-iMac:~ thierryplouchart$ kextstat -kl | awk ' !/apple/ { print $6 } '

Thierry-Ploucharts-iMac:~ thierryplouchart$

The cold boot took 8 minutes this morning. When the computer is hot, it usually only takes a couple of minutes from a hard reboot. I usually keep it asleep which allows quick access. But at times, I've recorded as long as 11 minutes from a cold boot. I'll look into the other suggestions next.

Jul 16, 2011 12:49 PM in response to Tiery

OK, so far so good. "Things" seem to be operating fine for now. Here's what I have done thus far. I downloaded Onyx and Maintenance App and ran Onyx. At first it said I had to do a repair disk from the Snow Leopard disk. I was looking for the utilities menu when I accidentally did a complete reinstall of Snow Leopard. After that, I ran the 10.6.8 update and did another software update and re-ran Onyx at which point it verified the disk without any repairs necessary. I then ran the Maintenance app and it deleted my cache and whatever else it does. After that I did a Time Machine back up and shut it down. When I started it up cold it only took 2 and a half minutes. Probably since all the cache was gone. It seems to be working now and not stalling on any of the other apps so far that I've opened. I was thinking maybe that my hard drive might be going bad but it couldn't be happening to so many others that I have read who are having similar issues after installing the last update.

Jul 16, 2011 1:22 PM in response to Tiery

It seems you don't have any third party kext files, , no kext files no issues, so your ok on that at least and 10.6.8.

Tiery wrote:

At first it said I had to do a repair disk from the Snow Leopard disk. I was looking for the utilities menu when I accidentally did a complete reinstall of Snow Leopard. After that, I ran the 10.6.8 update and did another software update and re-ran Onyx at which point it verified the disk without any repairs necessary. I then ran the Maintenance app and it deleted my cache and whatever else it does. After that I did a Time Machine back up and shut it down. When I started it up cold it only took 2 and a half minutes. Probably since all the cache was gone. It seems to be working now and not stalling on any of the other apps so far that I've opened. I was thinking maybe that my hard drive might be going bad but it couldn't be happening to so many others that I have read who are having similar issues after installing the last update.

Love that OnyX ! 😀

Yes the first reboot/use after a full OnyX clean does take a bit longer as all the caches (and Spotlight) are being rebuilt, but once that is done it should be faster now and should be under a minute.

Is your second boot time now under a minute, or are you still experiencing 2 minute boot times?

Does the boot time seem to increase with your internet disconnected?

Jul 16, 2011 2:48 PM in response to ds store

I've been taking advantage of the speedier system to back up my iPod and later my iPad. That was one thing I lost was some of that data when I had initially reformatted the drive because of the 10.6.8 update. I'll want to let it cool down until it's literally cold before I do a second restart and see how long it takes. Otherwise, I am feeling confident that everything is working good having used the Internet and opened other apps like iPhoto and iTunes, etc. After I back up my iPod info on Time Machine, I'll shut it down again and get back to you on that second reboot time.

Jul 17, 2011 8:05 PM in response to Tiery

Here's an update. I spent all day today making some DVDs with iPod and iPad material and everything seemed to work just fine. I turned it off to cool it down since it was very hot and came back later to it when it was cold to restart it and check the boot time. It took 5 before it decided to reboot itself once more and took another 4 minutes before finally coming on. I am wondering if it was because of the two DVDs I created? That it had to "read" all of those files before starting up? I don't know how all that stuff works. Anyway, things are working and I can't say anymore than that. I'll have to wait another time when it reboots ice cold again, now that I've restarted it a few more times to make sure it has "counted" all the files. Perhaps I will go and delete those DVD project files after doing a Time Machine back up and see how it works later. Just long boot up times for now.

Jul 18, 2011 10:31 AM in response to Tiery

It took 9 minutes this morning for a stone cold boot up. I did forget to turn off my Time Machine hard drive so I'm not sure if that had anything to do but as soon as it was ready it went into a back up without any prompt from me. So, I'll give it another cold boot without the Time Machine "on." I also hadn't emptied my trash with a couple of DVD projects in there. So I'm still not sure what is causing such a long boot. I've removed any unwanted DVD projects from my documents and emptied the trash now so we'll see what happens on the next boot up.

Jul 18, 2011 5:08 PM in response to WZZZ

Have you been reading my posts? I have no idea how to do what you are suggesting even though it sounds like something worthwhile to do. I have yet to restart the computer as I am now using my ipad, which luckily is unaffected by any of the last updates. And I can still access this forum with it, thank goodness. I'll try rebooting once more now that my iMac is somewhat cold and get back to you. Other than that, I'll have to do homework to see if this rebooting in Verbos Mode that you are speaking of can be done and can help me figure out what is happening here. I hear Lion may be out by this Wednesday, 7/20/'11 and if I can't get my computer to work a little more efficiently as time wears on, it may be time to do some shopping(?). It's just hard to tell what is going on actually.

Jul 18, 2011 5:46 PM in response to Tiery

OK. I've done the Verbos Mode start up but am not sure what I am supposed to look for or do with it. I had plenty of time to look over the things listed but I didn't really see anything weird. Before that, I did a plain boot and it took 5 and a half minutes before the screen went black all by itself and rebooted once more only to take another 6 minutes before everything came back on at which point I am now here on this site with my results. I did unplug all of my peripherals this time and it obviously didn't make much difference in the boot time. I keep wondering if my hard drive is going bad?

Jul 19, 2011 9:40 AM in response to WZZZ

I tried doing the shift/command/v this morning from a cold boot and after many minutes of viewing a grey screen, there was a flashing folder with question mark that appeared. I know that means it can't find the start up disk. So, I pushed the power button and within a minute or two after pushing the button once more and within seconds the apple icon appeared and gear wheel was spinning. I was doing a lot of reading about start up problems yesterday and there are many factors which could lead to a bad drive or any other problems with slow start ups. I saw one about the PRAM battery which stores start up procedures which could be replaced. Either that or resetting the PRAM settings themselves. Maybe because the battery isn't keeping the information available at startup? I will see if I can take a picture of the screen if I can ever get it to boot up in these conditions. It just has to be stone cold as that is the time when it seems to be the most affected. I am also wondering if it needs to reach an optimal operating temperature before it runs the OS? So many questions.

Jul 19, 2011 11:05 AM in response to Tiery

Some things to try: If the Mac is less than five years old, I don't think it's the PRAM Battery. And not all Macs rely on the PRAM battery for startup. I don't know if yours does or not. A PRAM reset is often just voodoo, but it won't hurt. Hold down Option-CMD-P-R together at the chime, wait for two more chimes, total three, let go of the keys to finish booting.

I think you may have a failing drive. If you can get the Mac to boot, get the free demo of SMART Utility.

http://www.volitans-software.com/smart_utility.php

See what happens with a Safe Boot. Hold the Shift Key down at startup. This will take much longer than a regular boot, so give it time. It's checking and repairing the drive directory, if possible.

Also try booting holding down the Option key. See if this brings you to a screen that shows the usual Macintosh HD to boot from. If that works, then go to Sys Prefs> Startup Disk and make sure the usual boot volume, Macintosh HD, or whatever you may have named it, is highlighted.

reformatting hard drive from SL disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.