Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4 reception many dropped calls help!

Just got the Iphone4 -was going to get a android - made the mistake of listening to the Verizon sales woman. Have read that tape across the antenna will help.. it didnt. Seriously tape to fix a 600+ dollar phone. Come on. Is there anything I can do or do I go trade this in? Thanks for your help!

iPhone 4

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 10:34 PM

10 replies

Nov 1, 2011 5:28 AM in response to gillianfromwb

I have a 3g i-phone, and I just bought my husband the 4g and my mother-in-law the 3g on Oct 30, 2011. My mother-in-law's phone and mine have had no reception problems; however, my husband's new 4g drops his calls frequently. We'll be in the same room, and I will be talking to someone on my phone with no problems, and he will be talking to someone else (or trying to), and the other person to whom he is speaking is telling him that he's cutting in and out, and the sound quality is poor, or the call gets dropped.

I've researched the problem and found out about the covering of the phone; however, I put the phones next to each other on the counter, and the 3g consistently has more reception bars than the 4g, so it has nothing to do with covering the phone.

During the last 2 days when making calls, he has asked people about the sound quality. The response was generally, the sound quality was better with his old LG ATT phone. By the way, he did remain with ATT and so did his mother, who has had no sound quality or reception issues with the 3g.

I've come to the conclusion, sadly, that the 4g does not offer that many more benefits to compensate for poor sound quality and reception. Granted, there are apps that can only be downloaded onto the 4g, but they are certainly not as important as good sound quality and reception. Ok, the screen quality is better with the 4g, but, to me, it is almost imperceptible and is not as important as sound quality and reception.

We do live in an area that has weak signal, but I was told that the 4g was designed to get better reception, so I thought it would be perfect for us. I am disappointed with our experience, as I was planning to switch to the 4g as well (I really do want some of those apps that I can't get on my 3g). However, I can't take the chance of getting poorer reception and sound quality. Therefore, I am hanging onto my steady and mostly reliable 3g and exchanging his for the 3g. We'll save $100 and much aggravation. As we all have experienced with technology, sometimes newer is not always better.

I'm just wondering if I should take his SIM card and put it in the 3g or just start from scratch?

Nov 17, 2011 7:47 AM in response to gillianfromwb

My Iphone 4 constantly drops calls. Driving me crazy! For the past 6 years to I was using a the old school Razor phone and NEVER experienced a dropped call. I always thought dropped calls were a myth. Finally my wife convinced me to get with the times and buy an iphone. This thing in junk. I live in NYC so there is a perfect signal yet I constantly drop calls. I have verizon. Its not the carrier, its the phone. for $600 I should be able to make a phone call from the middle of a tropical rain forest. I want my razor back!!!

Feb 17, 2012 7:52 AM in response to gillianfromwb

Shouldnt this been grounds for sueing the idiots at apple who sold these little "wonders"? I didnt pay $600 for a phone that basically dosnt work either! Who designs a phone that cant do it basic function A PHONE CALL! I live in Panama, I know tons of users here with the same problem. Never had this problem on the blackberry (same server). The problem happens accross the board with all servers too (Ive checked on other 4s users). I hate apple!

Feb 18, 2012 10:34 PM in response to gillianfromwb

I switched to the iPhone from android and I had the same issue. For some reason reception worked everywhere else Except in my own home i would bearly get one bar. Called Verizon the check out the network in n. las Vegas area said it was fine. Come to find out its my house that gets weak signal so they sent me a network extender to boost signal in the house. The phone works great now, no more dropped calls.

Jul 24, 2012 10:08 AM in response to gillianfromwb

I changed Three Iphones 4S in last 4 months, I still have this problem. Every time I make appointment with "Genius Bar", they run diagonstic's on my phone and determine that it is piece issue and change the phone. Now they are saying it is network issue, I still don't understand how come other non Iphone cellphones receive calls and I don't receive calls and goto Network and say it is their fault.

Aug 16, 2012 4:44 AM in response to gillianfromwb

Have a similar 'reception' and 'sim card not valid problem' with lot's of dropped calls with I-Phone 4. The store's solution today: I need to replace my phone for 150 Euros, because it ran out of warrant, while I tried to be a considerate customer over the last months trying to get the problem resolved by spending time on going to the provider to check and exchange sim-cards, going to the stores and reading up community support.

My experience is Apple Inc. is rather committed to educating me as customer through genius and emergent support processes than offering an appropriate support contact and educating their own store manager to listen to the customer instead of teaching them and findind real solutions that not only serve Apple Inc., but the customer.

Times when this company wanted to make a difference and really did seem to be changing.

Iphone 4 reception many dropped calls help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.