You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need java (JRE) 1.6+

Hi,

I'm a dinosaurus, still on a PowerPC and running Mac OS 10.5.8.

It's all fine, actually.

But now I have tried using apps to be able to send/receive text messages from my Mac via my android phone.

The computer app for all three of them requires JRE (java runtime environment) 1.6 or better, and regretfully, it seems as if version 1.5 is the best I can get for my system.

So, my question is: Are there any ways to install JRE 1.6?

Thanks a bunch for help.

Dan

PowerPC G5 2 x 2.3 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8), It's gray. :-)

Posted on Jul 16, 2011 1:03 AM

4 replies

Jul 16, 2011 1:27 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks, BDAqua. Will check those links.

However, I have now digged further into this, and found that I'm probably screwed as Java SE 6 obviously won't run on my old computer. I.e., the hardware is too old.

Cheers,

Dan

Jul 16, 2011 2:16 AM in response to Community User

Have you installed the most recent Java update. which was a combo update and which updated Java 1.6?

Update 10, 29 June 2011 - This release updates J2SE 5.0 to 1.5.0_30, and updates Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_26. J2SE 1.4.2 is no longer being updated to fix bugs or security issues and remains disabled by default in this update. Support for out-of-process Java applets on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard has been removed with this update.

This release is only for Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later versions of Mac OS X 10.5. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1359

Jul 16, 2011 9:10 AM in response to Community User

>the hardware is too old.

I guess so, now on my fully updated G5/10.5.8 & it only has 1.5 😟

From Klaus' link...

"Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 10 delivers improved compatibility, security, and reliability by updating J2SE 5.0 to 1.5.0_30, and updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_26 for 64-bit capable Intel-based Macs."

Looks like 1.6 is Intel only on 10.5.8

Need java (JRE) 1.6+

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.