Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto update, version 10.1.5 (615)

Anyone know why the latest version of iPhoto, version 10.1.5 (615), has to be downloaded twice from the App Store?

App Store Customer Support believes it's an iPhoto problem so, as there's no obvious, direct route to anything as simple as an iPhoto Technical Support desk with e-mail responses, I'm throwing the question into the forum.

Initial Question e-mailed to App Store Customer Support: Downloaded the new version last weekend via the App Store but App Store prompted for a repeat download the following day. Followed the procedure but seems anomalous and doubles the broadband usage (especially when its hefty file size is taken into account). Any explanation?

The first Update worked fine. I used it the same day it was installed so assumed the next day prompt was for a correction of some sort. However it has the same numerical ID: version 10.1.5 (615). I know because to ensure the initial install had actually occurred, I checked before downloading/installing again ).

Has anyone else encountered this App Store anomaly and if so, has Apple provided an explanation?

iMac (Intel), MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jul 16, 2011 1:32 PM

10 replies

Jul 16, 2011 1:38 PM in response to easely

There is no iPhoto 10. The most recent version of iPhoto is v9.1.5

I'm not actually sure I understand your issue. Is it that you downloaded the update, but the App Store is still offering it to you?

Assuming your download is working, why not just ignore the update you're being offered in the App Store?

Regards

TD

Jul 16, 2011 4:38 PM in response to Yer_Man

Oops! Meant 9.1.5 (615). My mistake. Same issue though: prompted by App Store to update iPhoto '11, which was done and was working fine. Next day another App Store prompt, which turned out to be the same update i.e. version 9.1.5 (615). Because there are cost implications – given average ceilings on monthly broadband usage (even with my BT Business Broadband ISP) and it being a fairly large file by App Store averages, I was interested to learn why it happened.

My initial reaction was that it was some sort of correction but its numerical identity was the same.

I'm sure Apple doesn't want unnecessary traffic on its servers either for repeat downloads so assumed the company might also be interested to know. Regards, CP

Jul 17, 2011 2:20 AM in response to Yer_Man

That was my assumption but the App Store "Customer Support" agent who replied to my query inexplicably, illogically buck-passed me to iPhoto technical support. Annoying – and arrogant.

He might as well have referred me to the Moon, so vague and unhelpful were his initial replies.

As for "worry about it": that's a different issue. Both downloads/installations of version 9.1.5 (615) as you note, worked/work as advertised.

The issue, because of broadband cost implications, is the need to repeat the installation. Naively perhaps I thought Apple would appreciate the heads-up. Instead I got a wall of pro-forma platitudes, prevarication and denial that it even occurred.

In effect, the attitude at "Customer Support" has created another, more disturbing issue: corporate arrogance at Apple.

I consider myself an Apple loyalist. I have been purchasing Macs – and only Macs – for personal and commercial consumption since 1983 and have spent almost £500,000 doing so along the way.

I can therefore bare testament to the subtle wind-changes in Apple's customer-facing behaviour. Having worked for a very successful global media company, I understand how hard it is to keep arrogance at bay when profits are soaring! So I like to tell this story:

Few people know that there's only one company left on New York's Dow Jones' Industrial Average – the stock market index of America's top 100 companies – that was there when it was launched.

It takes enormous vigilance to stay not just at the top but to stay listed – and remembered!

The reaction I got from the App Store in several days of dialogue should be cause for some corporate concern at Apple. Regards, CP

Jul 17, 2011 3:30 AM in response to Yer_Man

1. That's a long bow. No, there have been other instances lately so it's having a creeping effect. Was in Apple's "world's biggest store" on Friday to find out how my repair was going where I learned that it would actually take 10 to 14 days rather than the five to seven quoted by the genius when the laptop was deposited there nine days before. The Genius Bar traffic controller would have nothing of it .Said I was wrong, implied I was lying so, no it's not just one Customer Support worker.

I only went into the store because of the extreme hassle I'd had trying to determine the repair status online: you know, login to my account, input the repair number, find it's status 'under repair' duh. See link for more info about your repair > online Chat > can't help, suggest you telephone the store > here's the number > telephone the store > telephone maze > advise go online. Totally useless. Totally uninformative.

2. The said Customer Support worker referred me to iPhoto technical support and, as there's no actual easy-to-find link to iPhoto technical support, the only apparent option left was to throw the subject into the forum.

In general my experience with Apple over the years has been excellent. Why else would I have spent so much? The gripe is that prima facie, recent experience is showing a few cracks in the tiles. As stated, I've been there before with a global media company, with bureaux in 120+ countries and yes it's only 27,000 employees but corporate arrogance of the type I've listed really damaged it, allowing competitors to take sizeable chunks of its market.

It also happened to MicroSoft, it can happen to Apple. And if you'll accept the observation your response 1 is indicative of the sort of defensive attitude that comes with too much pride. ". . . 100k employees on the actions of one Customer Support worker?" I say 'one bad apple . . .'. Better see the bruising doesn't spread.

iPhoto update, version 10.1.5 (615)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.