Currently Being ModeratedJul 17, 2011 3:13 PM (in response to Whiskey07)
I have the same problem. I currently have an ID that is not my email address and need to change it in order to use FaceTime and other iPad apps. The above referenced article appears to be out of date because they have changed the look of the page. Don't know where to go from here.
Currently Being ModeratedNov 22, 2011 6:22 PM (in response to Whiskey07)
I too have an old ID that's not an email address. When i updated my iPad to 5.0.1 it converted my iPad login to my email address and will not allow me to change it back. My Mac and iPhone still use the old id. Since I cant change the ipad id Does anyone know if there's a way to change the other IDs (Mac and iPhone) w/o loosing all of the music and app licenses that are associated to the id...?
Currently Being ModeratedDec 5, 2011 4:51 PM (in response to MattyEss)
The account edit page: http://support.apple.com/kb/HE40 does not give me the  option on my Apple ID.
All the edit links are there EXECPT for the Apple ID...
Currently Being ModeratedDec 22, 2011 5:00 PM (in response to Fred Nix)
same here. after two conversations with apple support. they have directed me to iTunes support????? iTunes is handling these things now? hard to believe, but I await iTunes support on this one. *crossing fingers
please post if anybody figures this out. I'll do the same!
Currently Being ModeratedJan 3, 2012 6:21 PM (in response to mreassassin)
Ditto. I was on the phone with Apple Support for over an hour trying things but to no avail. My account lists my email address as @mac.com which is no longer valid. I hope someone comes up with a solution.
Currently Being ModeratedJan 6, 2012 1:35 PM (in response to Whiskey07)
Same problem for me too, though I have just seen this page:
Essentially, it states:
"Some Apple IDs, like those ending in @mac.com or @me.com, can't be changed."
Currently Being ModeratedSep 18, 2013 11:10 PM (in response to Whiskey07)
I've had this problem for a few years and last night with the help of apple support, cracked it.
Here's what to do.
Create a new email that isn't associated with apple. And make it you Apple ID using the following steps.
1) Make sure you're using the latest version of iTunes. You can download iTunes, free-of-charge, from the Apple website:
Note: Installing the latest version of iTunes will not affect your library or any items in your account that you haven't downloaded.
2) Open iTunes, then from the Store pull-down menu at the top, choose Sign In.
3) Enter your iTunes Store account name and password and then click Sign In.
4) From the pull-down Store menu at the top, choose View My Account, or click the link below:
5) If prompted, enter your iTunes Store account name and password, then click the View Account button.
6) Click the Edit button on the Apple Account Information screen.
7) Enter a new Apple ID (must be an email address) and/or a new password. Please make sure the email address you enter is one that you actively check. It is not possible to make the iTunes Store send email to an address different than the one being used for your Apple ID.
8) Click Done to save your changes.
Once this email has been verified. Use "manage accounts" https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/ to change your Apple IDs to the desired email address.