1 2 3 4 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2012 12:49 PM by Hojes
Dedo Level 2 Level 2 (205 points)

I drag and drop Utility App icons that I use to the sidebar and they keep disappearing.  This didn't use to happen; is this a glitch with 10.6.8?  I tried trashing the .plist and rebooting but that didn't help.  Any suggestions? 

iMac, 24, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iBook G4, 1.42 GHz, PB6,7; iPad 3G+WiFi
  • 1. Re: Losing sidebar icons
    macjack Level 9 Level 9 (50,510 points)

Perhaps one of the utilities themselves are causing the problem. Which do you use?

Try starting up Safe Mode

(It will take more time to startup in Safe Mode because it runs a directory check.)

If your aliases stick that way, go to System Preferences >> Accounts >> Login Items, and remove them. Boot normally and test. If not go to/Users/yourname/Library/Contextual Menu Items and move whatever is there to the Desktop. Then do the same with /Library/Contextual Menu Items. Lastly, try moving/Users/yourname/Library/Fonts to your desktop and restarting.

• 2. Re: Losing sidebar icons

macjack-Thanks for the quick reply.  I tried each of the three steps:

1)Safe Mode

2)Removing Contextual Menu Items from both the User Library and the Library (one item in each moved to the desktop)

3)Moving Fonts from the User Library to the desktop

None worked.  Each time I replaced the app icon aliases on the sidebar they were gone when I rebooted.  :-(

• 3. Re: Losing sidebar icons
    léonie Level 9 Level 9 (51,640 points)

Do you synchronize your machines with Mobile Me? Syncing the Dock may also cause Sidebar items to appear or disappear.

• 4. Re: Losing sidebar icons

No, I don't use MobileMe.

Also, just tried deleting apple.com.finder.plist and reloading and restarting.  That didn't work either.  Something is conflicting.  Recently installed 10.6.8 from software download, then reinstalled 10.6.8 Combo from Apple downloads.  That didn't change anything.

• 5. Re: Losing sidebar icons

macjack-

Earlier when I was searching - before posting my question- I found a reply from you to someone back in 2005 who was having the same problem: https://discussions.apple.com/message/736330#736330

You suggested:

Navigate to yourhome/library/preferences and trash these two files:

com.apple.finder.plist
    com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

(You will have to reset a few finder prefs the way you like them.)

Then log out and back in again. Or restart.

I tried that before I posted and it didn't solve the problem but now I see I no longer have a com.apple.sidebarlists.plist file in User/home/Library/Preferences.

• 6. Re: Losing sidebar icons

One more suggestion: to rule out any wrong settings in your User Library you could try to create another user account on your machine and try if with a brand new account you have the same trouble.  If that is the case, then the system or the installed software are most likely the culprit.

• 7. Re: Losing sidebar icons

I have what I call a 'test' account set up.  I did as you suggested and used that. Neither account saves my Finder prefs.  I kept going back and forth, logging in and out of each account and also rebooting.  In the 'test' account, I found an apple.com.sidebarlists.plist file, so I dragged and dropped that back into my main account to see if that missing file made a difference.

Now, both my 'test' account and my main account save 3 of the 6 Utility app icons in the Sidebar but neither saves other prefs like which Sidebar Devices or Shared or Places to display.

• 8. Re: Losing sidebar icons

Hello Dedo

Now, both my 'test' account and my main account save 3 of the 6 Utility app icons in the Sidebar but neither saves other prefs like which Sidebar Devices or Shared or Places to display.

That looks, as if your account settings are not the cause of the trouble.

What do you see, when you open the "Sidebarlists.plist" with the "Property List Editor"?

In my "Sidebarlists.plist", when I disclose "CustomListProperties" there are four Booleans checked: ShowEjectables,.....

Like this:sidebar.png

If these Variables are set to "false" in your File, perhaps you could try to toggle the back and see what happens.

And for each user item in the Sidebar there is a list entry with three lines, but I wouldn't risk to change there anything.

• 9. Re: Losing sidebar icons
    Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (117,715 points)

What do you see, when you open the "Sidebarlists.plist" with the "Property List Editor"?

The OP doesn't have Property List Editor, unless he has Xcode installed, as you do. He can, however, view the contents of plists (including binary ones) in QuickLook by selecting them in the Finder and pressing the space bar.

• 10. Re: Losing sidebar icons

You're right, Linc, I couldn't access it via Property List Editor, but when I open it with QuickLook and the space bar, all I have is machine language.

• 11. Re: Losing sidebar icons
  • 12. Re: Losing sidebar icons

any Editor, that can parse xml would be ok, TextWrangler, VI, emacs ...

look for these strings in the document:

<key>ShowEjectables</key>

<true/>

<key>ShowHardDisks</key>

<true/>

<key>ShowRemovable</key>

<true/>

<key>ShowServers</key>

<true/>

<key>VolumesList</key>

Leonie

• 13. Re: Losing sidebar icons

After downloading PrefSetter, what I have is:

Key                              Class                    Value

savedsearches            Dictionary               2 keys

systemitems               Dictionary               7 keys

useritems                    Dictionary               2 keys

• 14. Re: Losing sidebar icons

any Editor, that can parse xml would be ok, TextWrangler, VI, emacs ...

No, actually it wouldn't, because many property lists, including the one in question, are not text files. They're binaries. Test your own suggestion and see for yourself.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next