Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import MTS-files to FCE from my Panasonic HDC-SD900 - without losing quality?

Dear friends!

I was shocked to find that my new fantastic Panasonic HDC-SD900 HD Video Camera couldn't communicate with FCE. The video-files on the camera is MTS (recorded in 1920x1080 - 50), and I now understand that they are not compatible with Final Cut Express 4.0.1.

I've tried my best to convert them to several FCE-compatible HD-formats, but the loss in quality is way too much to tolerate. I've used the AVCHD Converter from the Mac App Store

The video quality on my camera is really too good not to be used in it's full glory.

Any good advices for me?

All the best,

Bjarne:)

Final Cut Express 4.0.1-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 8:43 AM

3 replies

Jul 17, 2011 11:01 AM in response to BjarneNorway

Well, I think there is hope for you, but when it will materialize is just a guess.

When Panasonic and Sony introduced cameras that record in 108050p/108060p, they were ahead of the curve as there was no agreed standard for that format in AVCHD.

That has just recently changed:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/07/12/avchd.20.spec.now.out.with.new.tra demarks/

and now that the specification is indeed an AVCHD standard format, it is likely it will be implemented in future software.

The problem is the Apple has announced both FCE and FCP7 are end-of-life product that will not be supported anymore (therefore - no more updates). Apple has released FCP-X, at a US$299 price point, to replace FCE and FCP-7.

I don't know if FCP-X supports the newly announced AVCHD Progressive standard.

MtD

How do I import MTS-files to FCE from my Panasonic HDC-SD900 - without losing quality?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.