Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air SD Card for Watching Video?

I'm considering getting a MacBook Air, but I'm concerned about the amount of storage on the device. If I use an SD card as storage for movies I'd rip from a DVD, would the Air be able to play these movies direct from the SD card without delays/skipping? I'm talking about 2 hour commercial movies, not shorter movies I've taken myself.

Also the specs page doesn't indicate what version of SD the MacBook Air has: 2.0 or 3.0.

Any advice? Thanks!

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 2:40 PM

The potential bottleneck, if any, will not be the ability of the MBA to transfer the data off the card, but to decode the compressed file. Anything under 1080P should be just fine though.

My MBA 11.6" is not able to routinely play 1080P smoothly through USB, but it is the processor that is lagging, not the data transfer. A 13", with a faster processor may be able to do better though.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2011 2:40 PM in response to Sean Mcclafferty

The potential bottleneck, if any, will not be the ability of the MBA to transfer the data off the card, but to decode the compressed file. Anything under 1080P should be just fine though.

My MBA 11.6" is not able to routinely play 1080P smoothly through USB, but it is the processor that is lagging, not the data transfer. A 13", with a faster processor may be able to do better though.

MacBook Air SD Card for Watching Video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.