There are Chapters in iMovie'11
Project window - You have to select a project to be edited - so that just this show up - top and right hand corner there are two small brown/red things (to the right of the three blue squares) that Mark or Chapter-mark
Things reg. Chapters
• Do not set any Chapter mark at - VERY beginning or End - as iDVD want's to do this by it self and get's confused
• Do not set any Chapter mark in or within (2 sec from) any Transition !
(This You can do a work around if You MUST - Export out movie as a Full Quality QuickTime .mov file then re-import this into iMovie and use this in a NEW Project - and now You can set Chapters in transitions without any problem)
• When delivered to iDVD - DO NOT GO BACK to iMovie or FCE/P to make any adjustments - This set off the iDVD BUG resulting in that all Chapters points to Chapter one.
If done Medicine is to trash movie in iDVD and clean Media Assets - then re-import - or start a new iDVD project
I never use "Share to iDVD" as results get's bad to me - I do "Share to Media Browser" and as Large and in iDVD import from this.
Best result I get is by using iMovie HD6 or FinalCut Express or Pro as they don't discard every second line as iMovie'08 or 09 or 11 does.
Yours Bengt W
Thanks, Mr. Bengt W, for the very informative answer. I will try your tips next week (I am just now leaving town). However, this is actually pretty scary. These cautions and work-arounds seem more like MS WIndows software problems than our good old Apple software. This is so sad. I mean, don't get me wrong, not the end of the US economy or anything, but gee, whatever happened to "It just works?"
There is a new up-date to iDVD 7.1.2 (iDVD'11) just the other day - but I doubt that it address this BUG.
Apple is not showing any enthusiasm over DVD or BD or disks at all - everything goes to the Cloud - and so many consumer stands aside. Just wanting to deliver their (my) material in an as usable form possibly - and to many this still is DVDs.
Yours Bengt W
What do you mean by: "If done Medicine is to trash movie in iDVD and clean Media Assets". I am using iDVD 7.1.2, and am now experiencing the "iDVD quit unexpectedly" issue whenevr I try to open a new or existing project, or click on the close button of the current project. I've already deleted the preference files, etc. Very frustrating. I've also posted in another topic that I can't get the DVD to return to the Main Menu once it reaches the end of the movie (not to be confused with looping, that's not what I want). it just goes back to the Scene Selection menu instead. Two very annoying issues!
In God's Harmony
There is a Big BUG in iDVD and You set it off by
• creating a new iDVD project
• go back to edit video a bit more
• returning to iDVD - iDVD will notice and ask You to up-date or Cancel
• if up-dated all Chapters will point to Chapter one and more things goes awry
There are two ways to handle this - as You write - delete movie in iDVD and clear assets or RATHER start a brand new iDVD project.
If iDVD behaves strangly e.g. do not start - then
• trashing iDVD pref file (IN THE LIBRARY in Your HOME FOLDER - not Library in window when You open Main Hard Disk)
• OR better and easier - Start a Brand New USER-Account and log into this - It will force Your Mac to do all pref files new and error free
• AND - Run Repair Preferences
This cures 99.5% of all iDVD misbehavings.
Yours Bengt W