Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable an External Monitor?

I am looking for a way to disable a second monitor (plugged into the Display Port of a late 2010 iMac 27") without unplugging it. Does anyone know of a software solution?

When I am working I like that second monitor for desktop space, but other times (watching Netflix for example) the second monitor taxes the video card to much and degrades video playback performance. It would be great to have a software switch to ignore the second monitor. Right now, the only way I have found to do this is to unplug the display port cable.

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 9:34 AM

11 replies

Jul 7, 2017 2:37 AM in response to Tracy E

Well, it didn't do what I was expecting. I assumed that "disabling" the external monitor would cut off the input, thereby allowing me to switch the input on the external monitor to another device while ensuring the iMac is working to just one screen.

Unfortunately, what I found is that the iMac screen goes blank and the external monitor retains its picture, but is disabled. This leaves me with an iMac that I cannot use until I physically unplug the external monitor.

Jul 17, 2011 1:59 PM in response to Tracy E

Yes, and if you notice in that picture, that SwitchResX has a provision to execute an applescript along with the switching. I took advantage of that to allow me to move my audio between my mac and tv and also change the cursor size (hard to see that little bugger on the tv 7 feet away unless you make it bigger).

It also allows you to move the menu bar (see main display) which I needed in a display set to move on to the tv since one site I use only supports full screen display on the screen containing the menu bar.

All-in-all a very nice utility.

Disable an External Monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.