Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto '11 still quits unexpectedly even after re-install

Dear Forum,

I have a 13" MBA 256GB 2.13GHz with a 4GB RAM, bought in March (this week will prove i shouldve waited a bit longer..) and have the latest software updates, for everything, but my iPhoto '11 keep crashing as soon as I open it.

I did a full reinstall as advised in another discussion, but still has not resolved my problem! I open it and don't even have time to click anything, it's an immediate freeze..

I checked the other day and it seems I have about 84GB in my iPhoto Library .. which may be a lot but i have 50GB free on my drive.. So I really do not know what to do...

Can anyone please help?

Best Regards,

bloub0

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 11:19 AM

5 replies

Jul 17, 2011 11:28 AM in response to bloub0

This isn't Apple Support. This is a forum where Users can ask other Users for assistance with their Macs and Apple software.

As a Test:

Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'

Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?

Jul 17, 2011 11:36 AM in response to bloub0

Try this: make a duplicate copy of the library and:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home(User uploaded file)/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder.

3 - try launching iPhoto again.

NOTE: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

OT

Aug 28, 2011 4:09 AM in response to bloub0

I was having the same problem, and it turned out to be one corrupted jpeg file out of the thousands in the iphoto library. I identified it by dragging a copy of my iphoto library to an external hard drive to copy, and in the copying process, the corrupted file wouldn't copy and was identified by the system. I then found that file, dragged it into the trash, emptied the trash, and from that moment iphoto '11 worked perfectly. Not the most elegant solution, and I was lucky that the corrupted file was one that was one that I had an uncorrupted copy of and was not an important picture to me anyway, but it did work.

If nothing else works, give it a try.

iPhoto '11 still quits unexpectedly even after re-install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.