Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The name of my Home folder didn't change when I renamed my Account.

I just got a new iMac and have been setting it up. Yes, I am loving it and now I'm (not so) patiently waiting for Lion to be released 😀

However, I have a problem. When I first set up my computer, I named my account Jordan Hipwell and then signed into my Apple ID (hipwelljo). Then later I realized it would be nice to have another account that doesn't have admin rights, so I created it and called it Hipwell. Later on I decided I should rename them both, the admin account being called Administrator and the non-admin account called Standard. This is how it is currently set up.

Now when I go to finder, Macintosh HD, then Users, the folders are named hipwelljo and Hipwell. They should be called Administrator and Standard, respectively because those are the new names of the accounts.

How do I rename these Home folders?

Thank you!

iMac, 21.5", 2011 Release

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 4:27 PM

This will help you change the name, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428

10 replies

Jul 17, 2011 4:33 PM in response to Plant-Daddy

And, exactly how did you go about "renaming" them? BTW, you should not name an account "Administrator" or "admin" or "Standard." Use names that are not commonly in use by the OS.

The "normal" Unix account names consist of the first [second] initials plus last name, e.g., jhipwell, all lowercase.

Unless there are others using your computer who have their own accounts, there really is no need to have both an admin and standard account.

If you wish to rename your Home folder (admin account) then see:

Mac OS X- How to change user short name or home directory name

Macworld | Changing the short username in Leopard

In the case of the latter use the procedure, "The Full Monty."

Jul 17, 2011 7:20 PM in response to Plant-Daddy

Joey --

You are wading into some serious doo doo.

The chances of you making a mistake and losing everything is very great.

Leave them alone and just remember which one is Admin and which is Standard.

EDIT:

If you really can't stand this situation and you haven't finished setting up yet,

then use the Install disk and reinstall. You'll probably be more confused than you are now, though.

Jul 17, 2011 8:43 PM in response to Kappy

I "renamed" my user accounts by going into the System Preferences then Accounts then changed the Full Name.

I am confused as to why it doesn't just change the Home folder name to match the Full Name. Apple even says they should be the same. "your user account name and home directory name (which should match)"

Nevertheless, after reading the article, I decided I should rename both of my Home folders to match the account names since they are way too similar and confusing at the moment. So I want to rename Hipwell to Standard and hipwelljo to Administrator to match the Full Names.

However, in step 4, it says that when you rename the Home folder, you have to make it lowercase. But Hipwell is the current Home folder name and it isn't lowercase. Sooo why does it have to be lowercase if it automatically made it uppercase in the first place?

And before I begin following the steps, should I rename the Full Names (Administrator and Standard) to something else so when I create the new accounts there won't be any conflicts?

And if I follow the steps exactly, is there still a chance there could be a few problems? Like modified settings or anything?

Thanks.

Jul 17, 2011 9:41 PM in response to Plant-Daddy

Changing your full name in Accounts preferences will not change the username assigned to your Home folder. You set that only when you first create a new account. It cannot be easily changed thereafter. Hence, the routines such as those I have provided.

It is standard Unix practice to use all lowercase for a username, but OS X provides the ability to use mixed case names. But I cautioned before that you should not use "Administrator" or "admin" or "Standard" as actual usernames. Furthermore, there's no apparent reason why you need two different accounts. You would be far better off with a single admin account using a convenient username like JoHipwell or jhipwell or JHipwell, etc.

If you follow the steps exactly there shouldn't be any problems unless they already exist.

Jul 17, 2011 9:57 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy.

I need two different accounts, one with admin rights for me and one without for the other users at my house.

It made sense to me to name them Administrator and Standard since that describes exactly how they are set up. Why do you think I shouldn't use those and what do you suggest instead?

And it will be ok if I use mixed case then?

Thanks.

Jul 17, 2011 10:34 PM in response to Plant-Daddy

As I mentioned earlier those are names used in the OS and be confusing. Surely, you can come up with two other names. If you have multiple users in the house such as a significant other then use her name for one of the accounts but make it a Standard account. If you have children then make separate accounts using their names - one for each child.

Mixed case will be OK. Just remember that usernames are case sensitive.

The name of my Home folder didn't change when I renamed my Account.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.