Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini won't play some DVDs

I have a Mac Mini that has suddenly become finicky about the DVDs it plays. And we are talking about original retail DVDs, not copies. It will load and play some, but completely rejects others after ruminating on them for a little while. I can't make heads or tails of it. Any suggestions?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 6:45 PM

16 replies

Jul 18, 2011 4:23 AM in response to Dr_Scott

Dr_Scott wrote:

I have a Mac Mini that has suddenly become finicky about the DVDs it plays. And we are talking about original retail DVDs, not copies. It will load and play some, but completely rejects others after ruminating on them for a little while. I can't make heads or tails of it. Any suggestions?

With regards to difficulty playing some discs rather than all, I would tend to point the finger at either those discs being damaged (scratched or dirty), or the actual DVD drive lens being dirty. You can get special lens cleaner discs although I have never used one in a slot loading type drive as used in a Mac mini and would worry it might get stuck. You could blow through the slot ideally with a bottle of compressed air.

Overall I would normally suspect the discs.

Jul 18, 2011 5:16 AM in response to John Lockwood

It's not the disks. Some of them are pristine, never-been-played disks. All rejected disks work fine in other computers and regular DVD players. If it were failing to load all DVDs, I would blame the drive. This is a new development. I use the Mac as THE DVD player on my big screen TV and it has never rejected disks in the past. It always rejects certain disks and always loads certain other disks. I've tried zapping the PRAM and fiddling with the preferences. But I cannot find a solution. What on earth would cause such selectivity?

Jul 18, 2011 5:22 AM in response to Dr_Scott

Dr_Scott wrote:

It's not the disks. Some of them are pristine, never-been-played disks. All rejected disks work fine in other computers and regular DVD players. If it were failing to load all DVDs, I would blame the drive. This is a new development. I use the Mac as THE DVD player on my big screen TV and it has never rejected disks in the past. It always rejects certain disks and always loads certain other disks. I've tried zapping the PRAM and fiddling with the preferences. But I cannot find a solution. What on earth would cause such selectivity?

If not the discs then it could be the drive lens being dirty. This would particularly affect dual-layer discs i.e. ones containing more than 4.7GB of data. Sometimes but not always the DVD jacket will say in small print whether it is a dual-layer disc. I would therefore suggest you look in to cleaning the lens.

Mar 13, 2012 2:07 PM in response to Dr_Scott

We started experiencing the exact same problem just a few weeks ago. SOME DVD's that previously worked no longer will (Mac Miniand others are just fine. I've used canned air to try and clean the lens however it's not helped. I've not seen the DVDs marked as dual layer as previously mentioned. Has the issue that's caused this problem been identified yet and, if so, is there a fix?

May 20, 2012 10:52 PM in response to Dr_Scott

define "not work properly"

does the dvd not play in dvd player?

can you try playing the dvd with vlc ?

you can get this from videolan.org

does the optical drive just spit the disk out?

this would mean that you may need to replace the drive or clean the lens

can you try making a mp4 with handbrake from handbrake.fr?

some specific movies or some recent developments in copy protection, might confuse the dvd player

have you tried playing the same disk in a similiar mac?

May 21, 2012 5:54 AM in response to rigormortis

Does not operate as one would expect, that is: put DVD in slot; watch movie.

Some do, some don't

Haven't tried Vic. I shouldn't have to.

Yes, on DVDs it does not play. It munches on them awhile and then they fail to mount. So the drive spits them out. Others work just fine.

Why? I just want to watch a freakin' movie!

I've tried DVDs of all ages. There's no way to predict which will work and which won't.

Sep 11, 2012 3:00 PM in response to Dr_Scott

I've been having the same issue. My mini would only play certain dvd's and would only burn at the lowest burn speed some of the time - most times it would not complete. I read somewhere that it might be a dirty lens.

Turn off computer and used some compressed air in the slot as well as wrap a soft glasses cloth around a credit card and stick into slot. Compressed air a few more times....

After a turning back on dvd's are reading and burning fine again. We'll see how long it lasts... 🙂

Mac Mini won't play some DVDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.