Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive authorization

every time i try to make a change to a file on my external hard drive it prompts me to authorize the change. no application is allowed to change or access files on the external HDD. what did i do to screw this up and how can i fix it?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2011 8:11 PM

Did you previously password protect the hard drive? You can adjust user permissions on the mac by plugging the external hard drive in and opening finder. "right click" on the hard drive in finder and select Get Info. Now find "SHARING & Permissions" at the bottom of the get info window you just opened and make sure all the permissions say read & write. And press the little lock on the bottom right hand corner and make sure it's unlocked. Not sure if this will help but it's worth a shot.....

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2011 8:11 PM in response to lazy luke

Did you previously password protect the hard drive? You can adjust user permissions on the mac by plugging the external hard drive in and opening finder. "right click" on the hard drive in finder and select Get Info. Now find "SHARING & Permissions" at the bottom of the get info window you just opened and make sure all the permissions say read & write. And press the little lock on the bottom right hand corner and make sure it's unlocked. Not sure if this will help but it's worth a shot.....

external hard drive authorization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.