Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto "09" library to new mac with iphoto "11"

i am reposting this with a new title so i might possible get some more input. i am afraid the 1st reply i got may have restored my iphto library on my new mac to iphoto 09 and not just put the pictures in th iphoto 11 which is what i want to do.

ok i have a new imac, my old one crashed. i have read these discussion for info in the past. so i think i have this, just want to be sure before i do it. i have a time machine back up of my old imac. i have a external drive backup (mac. ext. journald) of my 09 iphoto library, i also have all my pictures exported to a portable HD at full quality which was not mac. extended journald.

i have never tested any of my back ups. my new mac has iphoto 11 the old mac 09. what is the best back up to use to put the photos on my new mac? and from what i think i have read i just drag the iphoto 09 library from backup to the new macs iphoto library, then open iphoto?

also i bought the aperture app from the app store when it was on sale. if there is a way to get that to my new mac, should i just start using aperture? from what i have read it is a much better app then iphoto, when i played with it after buying it i found it to be more then i needed and a little more complicated so i never really used it. but if recommended i will put in the time to learn. i guess what i like about it , is that from what i have read it is far more compatable app. for photos. my photo library is over 55 G and growing every day.

oh, if i can get my aperture app over from time machine how do i get my pictures from in that?

iMac

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 6:48 AM

i have a time machine back up of my old imac. i have a external drive backup (mac. ext. journald) of my 09 iphoto library,

Assuming that these backs ups are good - and lets hope they are - pick one, restore it to the Pictures Folder on the new machine and launch iPhoto.

Get iPhoto working. Then think about Aperture. You're making a simple procedure wildly complicated.

Regards

TD

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2011 6:48 AM in response to bigmacsIMAC

i have a time machine back up of my old imac. i have a external drive backup (mac. ext. journald) of my 09 iphoto library,

Assuming that these backs ups are good - and lets hope they are - pick one, restore it to the Pictures Folder on the new machine and launch iPhoto.

Get iPhoto working. Then think about Aperture. You're making a simple procedure wildly complicated.

Regards

TD

Jul 18, 2011 8:42 AM in response to Yer_Man

ok, thanks

this stuff just is not straight forward for me.

i dragged the iphoto library over to the new mac and got this -

"the photo library needs to be upgraded to work with this with this version of iphoto"

Your photo library will not be readable by previous versions of iPhoto after the upgrade. The upgrade process for very large libraries may take an hour or more to complete.

do i do the upgrade?

iphoto "09" library to new mac with iphoto "11"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.