Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Summary of spotlight indexing not working on shares

There are a number of archived discussions on this issue, none of which has a conclusive answer.

This post over at ironic sums up the problem nicely:

http://ironicsoftware.com/community/comments.php?DiscussionID=1752

Having wasted more than a few hours researching and testing I thought I'd share the results with others:

a)

There is no way of indexing an AFP-attached network drive [1] on OS 10.6 , however ordinary search works fine.

I tested on a new Suse/Netatalk server with 3 TB of archived information, and ordinary search by filename is quite fast even without the index.

b)

If indexing is turned on for a network volume, ordinary search will not work, as Spotlight will use a non-existing index.

If you have trouble searching (at all) on a network drive, turn indexing OFF for the volume in question:

Mount the network volume

Open a terminal session and type:

mdutil -i off /Volumes/"Your volume name"

c)

Do not waste time trying to manually build the index (mdimport) as suggested in a number of posts. For a huge drive it takes days, and the result is - nothing.

-Christian

Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 7:22 AM

2 replies

Nov 20, 2011 10:47 AM in response to christian252

Sorry, but in the following scenario, manually building the index worked for me.

1. Client: Mac OS X 10.7.2

2. Network volume: AFP mounted Time Capsule share, the same share used for Time machine.

3. No search is possible with Finder windows or in Spotlight direct search field.

4. Using these commands from terminal :

a) mdutil -i on /Volumes/MyTimeCapsul

b) mdimport -d 1 /Volumes/MyTimeCapsule

I can now search from Finder windows if I click on the proper search tab corresponding to this shared volume.

5. So, it works for me.

Jean

Summary of spotlight indexing not working on shares

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.