Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook pro will not start up

Problems starting MacBook pro no screen will not reload keyboard lights up

no apple icon lit on case will not respond to alt/ crl/ P/R.Will not reload original OSX disk.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6), IPhone 4 3GS iPod iPad 1 iPad 2

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 4:19 PM

19 replies

Jul 19, 2011 12:15 AM in response to howardfromerd

howardfromerd wrote:

Problems starting MacBook pro no screen will not reload keyboard lights up

no apple icon lit on case will not respond to alt/ crl/ P/R.Will not reload original OSX disk.

So, you push the power button and the display does not turn on.

Could you hear the HD or optical drive spin up?

The keyboard lights are on.

The apple in the back of the display is not lit.

You tried a PRAM reset and nothing happened, no startup sounds, no display lights.

Could you hear the HD or optical drive spin up?

"Will not reload original OSX disk"

Does this mean the disc won't go in the slot? It will go in, but the MBP won't start?

Jul 19, 2011 12:17 AM in response to howardfromerd

howardfromerd wrote:

Hi thank you for you attention to my problem, it is the 17"MBP running OX 10.6.6 version 1.0 machine spec is intel i7 2.2GH part number MC725ZH/A model number A1297.

This is all I can find hope it helps you to help me?

Howard

Is it the orginal Apple supplied RAM?

Were there other problems leading up to this?

Are you still under warranty and have you called AppleCare or gone into an Apple Store?

Jul 19, 2011 12:51 AM in response to tjk

Could you hear the HD or optical drive spin up? Yes it is spinning but stops after a short while?

The keyboard lights are on. Yes they are on all the time it is turned on

The apple in the back of the display is not lit. No it is off all the time regardless

You tried a PRAM reset and nothing happened, no startup sounds, no display lights. Yes tried PRAM reset make a sound when i try to start normally,but no display.

Could you hear the HD or optical drive spin up? Can hear the HD starting and the optical drive spinning

"Will not reload original OSX disk" no it will not reload the OSX disk that came with the MBP.

Does this mean the disc won't go in the slot? It will go in, but the MBP won't start? The disc will go in the slot but stops after a short while.

It would seem as if the MBP is on as I can turn up and down the volume and if I connect a iPhone it will sync ???? So it looks as if it is just the screen that maybe has a problem but difficult to *****.

Jul 19, 2011 12:55 AM in response to howardfromerd

howardfromerd wrote:

Hi I have made no changes to the hardware and it has shown signs of being hard to bring out of sleep mode in the past so i did not shut it done very often , as it is less than two months old I can take it to the store I got it from, I hate having to do this as it has a lot of personal information on the HDD.

Cheers tjk mate

Yeah, I know what you mean. But it's probably best in case there's a hardware issue that they're going to need to fix under warranty. You'll need to have your data backed up for sure, as they could erase the HD or replace it. You migh want to take that opportunity to install a brand new OS with nothing else on it, and that should tell if it's a hardware or software issue.

Jul 19, 2011 1:02 AM in response to howardfromerd

howardfromerd wrote:

Yes tried PRAM reset make a sound when i try to start normally,but no display.

So it does make the startup sound, but still nothing on the display.

Hold a light by the Apple behind the display and see if you can see anything on the desktop.

"The disc will go in the slot but stops after a short while."

So the disc goes only part way in the slot?

Jul 19, 2011 12:49 PM in response to howardfromerd

howardfromerd wrote:

When you say to install a brand new OS what do you mean ? Sorry is I cannot keep up :-)

1. Boot from install disc: press power button > immediately insert install disc and hold down c key until Mac is booted.

2. Select your language > click on Next.

3. On the next screen click Continue.

4. Click on Agree for the software license.

5. Select your HD (it should be your only choice, and by default there should already be a green arrow pointing at your internal HD).

6. Click the Install button.

7. When finished, follow the onscreen directions to restart (and eject your install disc once booted).

8. Once booted normally > go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility > select your HD in the left hand pane > Click on the Repair Disk Permissions button > wait until it finishes (there will be things it does not repair, that’s normal) > quit Disk Utility.

9. Run updates (in Apple Menu > Software Update).

10. Repair permissions again.

11. Run Software Update again (sometimes one update will lead to another one after it’s installed)

Jul 19, 2011 11:23 PM in response to tjk

Good morning tjk hope you are well, I have again and again tried to get the original OSX disk to boot following your instructions but it will not boot up, I have decided to bit the bullit and take the Mac back to the store and get them to try to sort it out. Not something I like doing as it means I have had to change all my paw words on accounts ect and I have a whole load of stuff on the Mac I did not want to just hand over , so I have to rely on the honesty of the shop?...

I will hopefully get a report back and will send it to you so you will also know what the problem was if it helps anyone in the future.

Thank you for you attention and assistanse

BTW I am sure this was an unfortunate problem and not the norm for apple.

Howard

Jul 20, 2011 12:03 AM in response to howardfromerd

And a good morning to you Howard. Hope you are well also. So it isn't going to boot from the disc. Yes, it might be best to bring it in at this point. There are other ways to deal with your sensitive data.

You could take out your HD and install a new one (or just wait and let them install a new one). Obviously that wouldn't be covered under warranty, but anything else should be.

You could be there when they do their testing, giving them passwords if they need them, but if they can do the work right there and then with you there, they shouldn't have time to be snooping around. They might end up wanting to erase the HD and install everything fresh, in which case your data will have to be backed up or it will be lost. Do you have access to another Mac and a FireWire cable? If so, and if we can get your Mac booted into Target mode, you could backup your data onto the other Mac or HD and erase if from the internal HD.

And finally, you could ask them to take it out and give it to you, then have them install a new one, which would cost money, unless they had proven yours was dead, in which case they'd keep it.

So a lot of different things to consider. Let me know if I can help.

Jul 20, 2011 12:20 AM in response to tjk

Hi tjk, I am lucky that all the data was backed up on the 2tb time capsule so I will hopefully not loose anything, passwords have been reset ,well as many as I can recall twitter Facebook me.com Skype linkedin ect and the machine is now with them They do not do Th repair in the shop so it is sent to the repair center and they say it will take 5/7 days:-) so now I sit and wait for the call.

Will be interesting to see what the outcome will be and I will let you know as we have been through this together :-) it's been great talking to you over there Btw I am in dubai and will leave at the end of September though lack of work and head back to Hungary where I live (dispite being British).

Hope you have a great day speak soon

Howard

MacBook pro will not start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.