Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Air print works just once

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask a question to see if anyone has ever come across this or if anyone knows the reason/solution.

I recently bought an iPad2

I also have a HP Photosmart Premium Fax e All in One printer (anyhow, he's on the airprint list)

Let's start from a situation where I get home with my iPad and my printer is on.

When the iPad connects to my Wifi Network it recognizes the printer and I can use it with no matter which app. (that has a print feature)

When I close the lid of my iPad (going to stand-by) and reopen it, the airprint function still works.

But... when I close the lid of my Ipad for a longer period of time (let's say, 30 minutes) and I reopen it, the airprint function no longer works.

The Ipad no longer finds my printer.

The only way to restore tha airprint function is whether to : restart the iPad or to disconnect the Ipad from the Wifi network and to reconnect it again.

Then again all works fine.

When iPad again goes to stand-by for a longer period of time, the above described story starts all over again.

Does anyone know what might be the reason of this behaviour and even better, what might be a solution?

What I already tried :

- restart printer.
- updated printer, from osd, to latest version

- printer connected to network with ethernet cable

- printer connected to network using Wifi

- Contacted Apple support by phone

- They had me reset iPad

- That was no solution

- Appl support doesn't know what might be causing it...

Thank you for reading this post and also thank you for any replies

Kind regards

Ron.

iPad 2, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 12:44 PM

6 replies

Jul 21, 2011 8:05 AM in response to Ron.B

In addition to my first message.

iPad doesn't need to go in stand-by. When you keep working on it, connectivity with my printer is lost after about 15 minutes.

It also has nothing to do with my printer going in standby mode, or current-saving mode. Already disabled that.

It has nothing to do with printer idle time neither. I already noticed connectivity getting lost, only two minutes after the last print operation (coming from iPad)

I don't understand this at all.

Thx for any suggestion

Ron

Jul 23, 2011 4:29 AM in response to Fred-M-

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to reset the iPad network settings but unfortunately, that didn't help.

I still haven't reached the point where a conclusion can be drawn but I'm beginning to think that my Wifi Router (provided by my ISP) has something to do with it.

Also reset this one too but no luck.

But when I disconnect this router and use an old Wireless access point I found lying here (DLink), I noticed that the connectivity remained (at least for a longer time).

Only difference here was that printer was also wirelessly connected with Dlink WAP. (is by default connected by wire to my ISP's router, but also checked this when wirelessly connected)

I can't help feeling that this whole airprint protocol isn't completely stable (yet)

I read a lot of posts of ppl having trouble and for me it still isn't clear whether or not you can use the airprint printers in wired mode or not.

It seems to work when wireless router and wired connection are the same but it doesn't work (printer and iPad "see" eachother but printing is impossible) when iPad is connected to DLink WAP and when printer is connected to ISP's router. (also funny, in this case, as I said, printing is impossible but they keep "seeing" eachother, printer simply doesn't respond to iPad's print commands)

I will continue to try and find the "logic" in this situation.

What I didn't do up until now is to contact HP support which I will do because printer is also fairly new, just as my iPad is and just as I am on this forum 🙂

I'll surely let you all know if/when I find a logical explanation for this behaviour.

In the mean time, I remain thankfull for all your comments and suggestions.

Thank you

Ron

May 18, 2013 4:33 PM in response to Ron.B

Hey all,

the only way I can get my macbook pro, ipad and phone to print is to unplug the router. All of them then print first time but after any delay I have to reset the router.I had same problem with HP which I replaced with Epson but unfortunately the problem is still there.Epson have been obliging and run tests and concluded that there was a problem with the BT infinity router. BT replaced the router but the prob still exists.I have two ipads, two macbook pros and 3 iphones.....they all fail after the first attempt. An old sony laptop and even older acer laptop both connected without any additional software and continue to print without any problem using wifi.

The problem lies with APPLE who as always, once any warranty expires, stick their head in the sand and only come up for air to plead " it's not an Apple problem".............sorry guys but it is and I always get the impression that if for any reason there is an unrecognised hardware or software problem they shy away from it and treat customers like idiots.

John

Jan 25, 2016 4:34 AM in response to jilani

I know this is an old thread, but I'm seeing this now with an Epson Workforce printer, iPads/iPhone 6 (iOS 8.4.1 and 9.2.1) on a VirginMedia super hub. PC's (Win7, Win8) see the printer all the time and seem to have no issues, but I have to restart the printer after printing from iOS devices for iOS or Mac to find it again.

Did anyone manage to solve these things properly?

R.

Apr 21, 2016 7:50 AM in response to musigui

I have about the same problem with a Brother printer, connected to a Dovado-router and I use Airprint. After starting the printer it works for a few minutes and then it becomes unreachable, I can print one or two documents, so in my case its more of a timeout. I thought it was because of lost IP-adress so I set it to static IP, didn't help. Then i tried to change the sleep-mode-timeout, ut it doesn't matter either.

Have you reached any solution for your problem?

Air print works just once

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.