Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to disable the trackpad while typing on mbp without mouse ?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 1:13 PM

Open Universal Access preferences. Under either the Keyboard or Mouse tab should be a checkbox option to prevent accidental input when typing. If you don't find it there then check in the Trackpad preferences.

10 replies

Jul 19, 2011 1:14 PM in response to pierrefromquebec

There is no way to turn the trackpad off. To prevent it from registering any accidental touches, cover it with a thin piece of cardboard. The cardboard from the back of a standard pad of office paper is sufficient.

But do you really want to type without either a mouse or a trackpad? Sounds awfully inconvenient to me.

May 26, 2013 7:03 AM in response to freddobonanza

Thanks for the reply and so quickly too, but the link you refer to describes how to disable trackpad when another mouse or keyboard is present. I cannot find a check box for preventing accidental input. The only workaround I have found is to disable single touch on the trackpad. That stops the cursor jump madness when typing, but requires a full press to activate click on the track pad. The windows synaptics driver has had a feature that disabled they trackpad for a user configurable delay after a keyboard key is pressed. I am disappointed that my Macbook does not have this feature.

May 26, 2013 4:15 PM in response to pierrefromquebec

Sorry farmerJack i miss read the bit in your post that says "without mouse".. My workaround for this is like you mentioned, where the trackpad is set up so I have to press firmly on the track pad to click, always is as it drives me bonkers having a sensitive trackpad that you can bump easily. Sorry but that is my best sloution.

Good luck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.