Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EXPORT FEATURE IPHOTO-Video Files in "Event" are exported as an empty file!!!

Ok...this is devastating! Lets say you have selected an event containing 10 photos and 2 videos...you then choose to export the entire event via FILE>Export...

When you are prompt to choose the file types, location, and quality you make your desired choices and off you go...at first glance in the newly created folder that you have designated on another drive or folder 10 photos and 2 videos show up....PLAY the videos and they are 1 second long instead of their original length...

If you hand't played the video you would assume that everything worked perfectly and you could then then delete the event and master files from your computer to acquire more space, but this would essentially cause you to loose the true video in its entirety and could be devastating!

I think this feature needs revision!

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 3:29 PM

15 replies

May 24, 2013 4:01 AM in response to Yer_Man

I'm using iPhoto 11 and am experiencing the same problem. Basically I need to export some video files, when I export using the 'original' file type I get a small 30kb file that plays a blank screen in quicktime. The video plays just fine in iPhoto. I also tried to drag and drop but get the same problem.

Do you know if there are other options or methods that enable people to export video files? I would be very dissappointed if apple have highjacked my content..... Windows would never do this and Windows is a bag of ****....

May 24, 2013 5:38 AM in response to Yer_Man

I doubt they would be interested in it either, I'm just frustrated that its stuck in iPhoto.

I looked at the original file using 'reveal in finder' which appears as a quicktime movie (size is 30kb). The movie plays in the preview window so i tried dragging onto the desktop. I then get a blank video again.

It is strange that the file is only 30kb for a HD video thats 2mins long?

Thanks for your help so far.

May 24, 2013 7:04 AM in response to Alan Popes

Darn, I was hoping someone's home movies would be more interesting than mine 😉

So, iPhoto is exporting the original file, right? This 30kb QuickTime file? But the 2 min HD video is definitely not a 30kb file, that's for sure.

You sure it's not an Alias?

Again, use the Show File command and ths time double click on the file it brings you to. That should open QuickTime and play the movie. What happens?

May 24, 2013 7:33 AM in response to Yer_Man

Not sure what an Alias is but it sounds like you might be onto something....

I imported the file from my camera SD card directly to iPhoto. I don't think the source is the problem as I also imported movies from my iPhone 5 that behave in the same way.

When I double click the file via 'reveal in finder' it opens in quicktime but I get the same, a blank screen that plays for the correct length of time. However, the preview plays the video correctly.

EXPORT FEATURE IPHOTO-Video Files in "Event" are exported as an empty file!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.