Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

7.5.5 on 8600 - enabler?

I've got an old PM 8600/300 lying around with OS 9.1 on it. The problem is, OS 9.1 is way too slow, and the OS that shipped with it is 7.6.1, which is too new for some apps I want to run (7.6.1 seems to be OS 8 without the GUI enhancements.) Some things like an old SCSI scanner won't work. I have downloaded 7.5.5 (I heard the 8600 can run 7.5.5) and am ready to burn it to a CD to see if it makes a difference, but I don't know which enabler to use - anyone know?

Also...which format should I use to burn the CD?

PM G4 QuickSilver, 1.2 Ghz Sonnet upgrade, PM 8600, 300Mhz 604e Mac OS X (10.4.4) 120GB Maxtor HD, 640MB RAM

Posted on Jan 16, 2006 12:18 PM

8 replies

Jan 28, 2006 1:36 AM in response to upbeatpenguin

Hey, ubp,
Your SCSI scanner is what brand? If it is Apple, that is a known issue with OS8 and later. Get the "new" driver from http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html
They have it well hidden as "Macintosh/Display-Peripheral/Scanner/Dispatcher-Ofoto Drvr4.2.sea.bin"
Also, you may need virtual memory turned on when the scanner is attached. With the updated driver and VM on, it should work fine with OS 9.1. But you may have some other issue with OS9.1 because it is never way to slow for me. What? It's not an Apple scanner? Never mind...

Jan 28, 2006 2:26 AM in response to upbeatpenguin

upbeatpenguin
The 7.5.5 on oldersoftwarelist is only an update from 7.5.3-you will need that first! For the 8600/300 with OS 7.6.1 no enabler is needed according to specs.
IF you download on PC you should download all files of 7.5.3 in one folder,burn this folder to a CD(slow speed,ISO 9660),transport to the MAC,copy the files to desktop in one folder,use Stuffit to expand. You also can try to connect via Ethernet and transport folder this way from another Mac(don't expand on that MAC).

Jan 29, 2006 11:30 AM in response to upbeatpenguin

With a cool old Mac like an 8600 which can do so much, it would seem a shame to downgrade the operating system, especially to a pre-OS 8.1 system which cannot do the HFS+ file system.

As someone else suggested, I think your speed issues are being caused by something other than OS 9.x. I have a slower Mac than yours and I see no appreciable speed difference to when it is booted into OS 8.6 as opposed to 9.1. I also have three widely different SCSI scanners, all three of which work plug 'n' play. The speed issue of the scans is a function of the scanner hardware, not my operating system.

Jan 30, 2006 6:43 PM in response to upbeatpenguin

upbeatpenguin
According to EveryMac, the lowest OS supported by the 8600/300 as it was released was 7.6.1. You might be able to refocus the Mac's thoughts towards 7.5.x with WishIWere, but that seems to be more like punishing the Mac than enabling it.

As others have suggested, the preferable path should rather be to attack the peripheral hardware that you wish to use. You need to take account of the HFS/HFS+ difference in CD burning, and the different characteristics (from current production) of older CD media. Your burning app will control much of this. For example, if you are not offered HFS+ the choice does not have to be made. Available (SCSI) data transfer rates will also have an effect, but test (simulated) burns will tell you about any deficiencies in rates. OS 9 is far and away the preferable environment for burning if you have supported software, and an updated driver for the burner. Similar considerations will apply to scanning. Be aware also that there can be possible (but solvable) conflicts between peripheral drivers/software and native Apple extensions.

PS. All of this assumes that you are not simply in the grip of inadequate RAM for the 8600.

Jan 30, 2006 6:53 PM in response to Denis Eddy

Thanks for the replies, but...

The question now is moot - the problem was with the scanner itself and not the computer. It was an ancient HP scanner. I figured that it would be awfully big for a doorstop, so it's in a landfill someplace now.

I'm leaving 7.6.1 on the 8600 anyway so I can get some older software to run, though. I just don't know how to burn an HFS disc from my PM Quicksilver - I'm not interested in buying anything. I did have some luck burning an mp3-formatted disc (from OS9 on the QS) but it only worked once. Once I ejected the disc and put it back in it hasn't recognized it since. I've tried burning another one to no success.

Jan 30, 2006 9:30 PM in response to upbeatpenguin

upbeatpenguin
One quick notion for you to consider. Without too much travail you could maintain the 8600 as dual-boot (OSs 7.6.1 and 9.1). A small (2-4GB) second HDD, formatted HFS+ and containing 9.1 and supported software, could ease the exercise. Then you could use the latest (and most versatile) software to control burners and burning in OS 9.1, and easily revert to the HFS-formatted HDD and 7.6.1 when you pleased.

7.5.5 on 8600 - enabler?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.