Skip navigation

Can anyone become a developer?

1174 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2011 7:15 AM by littlekelli RSS
littlekelli Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 20, 2011 6:40 AM

Really want the new IOS 5..... Can anyone become a developer?

I dont belive there are any costs to it?

Thoughts, feelings, concerns? 

iPhone 4
  • wjosten Level 10 Level 10 (91,450 points)
    Jul 20, 2011 6:44 AM (in response to littlekelli)

Yes, and it costs $99 per year.

http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/

• varjak paw Level 10 Level 10 (167,195 points)
    Jul 20, 2011 6:45 AM (in response to littlekelli)

Don't become a developer just because you want iOS 5. iOS 5 is not finished yet and almost certainly has many significant bugs still, which is why it's available only to developers. Unless you really want to write software for iOS devices, wait until iOS 5 is finished and released to the general public. Depending on the beta release of iOS 5 on an iPhone you use regularly is a recipe for serious problems.

Regards.

• J D McIninch Level 5 Level 5 (4,060 points)
    Jul 20, 2011 7:06 AM (in response to varjak paw)

I concur. Becoming a developer at various levels grant you earlier and earlier access to Apple products -- with the understanding that the earlier a product is in development, the lest complete it is, and definitely not optimized for performance or stability. Becoming a developer is not a reasonable way to become and early adopter, it only makes sense if you want to develop.

• Julian Wright Level 7 Level 7 (34,835 points)
    Jul 20, 2011 7:11 AM (in response to littlekelli)
    Really want the new IOS 5.....

Why would you want unfinished, buggy software to use which (potentially) could cause your phone to crash, apps may not work, data may be lost etc, etc..

Unless you are a developer who needs to test his/her apps on the new OS, you would be advised to wait until the final, bug-free release in the autumn.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.