Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Pay $30 But Use Previously Downloaded Copy of Installer?

I've got a copy of the Lion installer. I want to install on my wife's Macs after she pays the $30 to the App store. She has a home and work Mac that she controls and, according to the Lion license agreement, we need for her to pay separately for her copies. However, since I already have a copy of the Lion installer, I want to use it rather than have my wife download another 4GB copy for use on her Macs.

How can I accomplish this? It seems so simple, but there is not an obvious solution given how the App Store is set up.

Thanks.

Late 2010 Macbook Air 13-inch 4GB-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 7:46 AM

14 replies

Jul 20, 2011 7:51 AM in response to Scott Newman

That may not be technically possible. With the DRM that comes from the Mac App Store, the installer may "belong" to the person who downloaded it. Even if you have legally paid for it, you may run into limitations based on the DRM authorization.

That is all a bit of speculation, of course. The simple answer is to download a new copy. Then she can install that copy on all of her machines.

Jul 20, 2011 8:07 AM in response to Scott Newman

I'm holding out hope that this isn't the case. There are too many people in areas without fast internet access. In those cases, one person might go to an Apple store to use the fast WiFi but then return home and need to let users in his or her extended family use the same installer.

It wouldn't be rocket science to build in a feature that takes a user using another person's installer directly to the App Store to collect the $30 before the new install takes place.

Jul 20, 2011 9:13 AM in response to Scott Newman

This issue I've raised is not merely how to do it, but how to do legally according to the Lion license agreement.

Based on what I've read in other places, I suspect that simply copying the installer to a third party's Applications folder and running it there will work. However, if that third party doesn't pay $30 to the App Store, there is a violation of the license agreement.

Jul 20, 2011 1:33 PM in response to Scott Newman

If you were to merely make a copy for a friend, this would violate the license agreement.

You can install it on multiple systems you own. Download it through the App store, go to your other computer, open the App Store, log in with your Apple ID and download Lion again without having to pay again.

As found at: http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html#APPS

MAC APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

Except as otherwise set forth herein,

ℹ You may download and use an application from the Mac App Store (“Mac App Store Product”) for personal, non-commercial use on any Apple-branded products running Mac OS X (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download a Mac App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) used by that individual that you own or control or (b) multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use a Mac App Store Product on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use a Mac App Store Product on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each Mac Computer used serially by multiple users requires a separate license.

(iii) Use may require sign-in with the Apple ID used to download the Mac App Store Product from the Mac App Store. Mac App Store Products can be updated through the Mac App Store only.

So based on the information provided within the license agreement for the Apple App Store, you can use this on your own systems. The link I posted earlier is merely how to back up your purchase to a DVD or USB drive, so you can have a copy to reinstall without having to download another 3.49 GB file.

Jul 20, 2011 1:54 PM in response to Scott Newman

This is getting off topic. I've read the license agreement. I read it before posting my first question above. I'm going to comply with it. My question was: Is there a way to legally pay the $30 per user but still use a previously downloaded copy of the Lion installer. Apparently there isn't.

This is ridiculous. The whole world is moving toward bandwidth caps everywhere. Meanwhile, each member of my family with a separate Apple ID has to download THE SAME 4GB INSTALLER FILE. It's not the cost of the update--it's the absurdity of having to repeatly download the same installer.

My dog could have come up with something more intelligent than this--such as automatically taking you to the App Store to pay $30 if you run an installer that you didn't download. You pay the $30 and you are credited with buying Lion. Then, the installer finishes. How hard can this be?

Jul 20, 2011 5:19 PM in response to Scott Newman

If you looked at my first post, I tell you how you can use the original download to make Lion into it's own install disk, so you can use it on additional systems.

If you read the link I posted about how to create a 10.7 Install Disk your question is answered. There is no multiple downloading required. Once and done. If you cannot figure it out, you are welcome to wait until August when it will be available from Apple via USB Drive ... OR you could just follow the instructions I posted and install it on each family member's system.

It works, I've done it. I downloaded it to my Mac, used the instructions I posted, created an install disc on DVD and installed in on my MacBook Air.

Jul 20, 2011 5:22 PM in response to Scott Newman

The Lion license agreement allows you to install it on all your "family" Macs. Read it.

You do NOT have to download Lion on each computer. If you have it; install it. Read the license agreement: There are technical AND legal options you have here, and NONE of them require you to pay any money to Apple assuming you paid $29 (or whatever is local currency) for one computer in hour household and you're installing it on another computer in your household.

So the solution is simple: You're just not paying attention to the (correct) answers people are giving you.

How to Pay $30 But Use Previously Downloaded Copy of Installer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.