Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my Dock not working Mac OS X Lion

I've just installed Lion (Macbook 2nd Gen, mid 2007, Intel 2.16 GHz-500GB-3GB Ram), and it is wrapping up migration (currently indexing for Spotlight), but I have run into a bit of a problem.

The Dock is completely non-responsive. If I hover over an application icon, nothing happens. And if I try to click on an application, there is no response either.

Has anyone ran into this problem? Any solution?

 2nd Gen MacBook (2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 3GB RAM / 250GB Harddrive) , Mac OS X (10.7),  Wireless Mighty Mouse, 30 GB iPod Video 

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 2:54 PM

I am having the same problem Hyde244... I just restarted my system manually, by holding down the power button and it seemed to fix the problem. I must say, I was a bit worried there for a moment. Good luck to you!

15 replies

Jul 23, 2011 2:34 AM in response to Hyde244

I noticed the same issue, however it's not totally unusable. If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and give it one more swish as if wanting to go further "down" it will bring the dock. Wihtout being an expert it seems that this is due to the extra real-estate that is generated when going "full screen" app. Sort of if the window real-estate was then out of the boundery of the trigger event for the dock. I noticed that reverting to non-full-screen mode restores the normal behavior of the dock.

I am sure a fix/patch will come soon enough but it's not enough for me to hate or even slightly dislike this greatOS update that brought so many other great features.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Aug 22, 2011 9:57 AM in response to graphicillusion

I know I said a manual restart fixed the problem, but not for long. The problem seems to be a syncing issue with mobileme and mail. Even though I had never signed into mobileme (or mail) on that computer before, and soon after signing into mail, the problem started occurring. After a month long game of phone tag, talking to 4 apple experts, and totally restoring my computer to snow leopard and then to lion (to no avail), my eventual solution was to completely delete my preferences folder. I had erased many com.apple.dock and com.apple.mail files in the past, but after that didn't work, the apple senior rep told me to put my preferences in the trash and then empty the trash. Even though all my other settings were reset to default, my dock worked just fine!

The final solution: To fix your freezing dock in Lion, delete your preferences folder!

Why is my Dock not working Mac OS X Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.