Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Occurred

I have successfully downloaded Lion from the App Store. Opened the application, went through all the stages (selecting my disk image, installing etc.) then it asks me to restart, i do it, then it says 'And error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again.' I have tried this numerous times but message comes up every time! Very frustrating! Any one know how i can get past this problem?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 8:13 AM

9 replies

Jul 21, 2011 6:59 AM in response to ruimgp

My problem is similar. I was able to easily download onto my MacBook Pro, but on my iMac (late 2008), it downloaded, restarted, normal desktop appeared, then a gray screen covers it, the curser freezes and a message appears, telling me that an error has occured, I have to do a hard shutdown, then start again. I have done this numerous times, with the same result: my computer goes right back to this error message.

Any suggestions?

Jul 22, 2011 2:51 PM in response to Andre1608

I'm having the same issue and I wanted to provide some info specific to my mac, and some info in general to help with diganosis.

First, my specs

User uploaded file

Secondly, I am running an aftermarket 500 GB drive.

Third, not sure if this is realated, but this screen suggests the proress will take 3 minutes, then it abruptly umps to the restart phase after about 1.5 - 2.5 minutes.

User uploaded file

And finally, here is the seeminly unavoidable error message.

User uploaded file

I'm generally more of a reader and reseracher than an asker, but this problem is very new and undocumented, so i'm desperate for help, I hope someone out there knows whats going on. Honestly, it would be nice if that person were Apple, but the community can hopefully pick up for their shortcomings here.

Thank you all,

Scott

Aug 4, 2011 5:44 PM in response to Andre1608

I too had the "An error occurred while installing Mac OS X" problem on my MacBook Pro. I tried several times and even completely erased my HD before trying to install Lion. I also loaded the Lion app onto a 8 Gb memory stick and tried installing from it but without luck. I both spoke to Apple and took it into a genius but no one was able to help. I thought about it for a few days and THIS IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME:

I backed up my internal HD onto a spare USB drive using the disk utility restore function. I then tested the backup drive by booting and restarting from it. I then shut it down, unplugged it and set it aside for disaster.

I then plugged in a second external drive (firewire) to the MBP and, using disk utility, I erased it. After erasing the external drive, I set the options for the drive to GUID in disk utility so it would boot from the Intel processor.

I then started up the Lion installer on my internal drive and told it to install Lion onto my external HD thus doing a completely clean install of Lion on the external drive. Once the install was completed, I rebooted from the external HD, and followed the prompts to register Lion. When it asked me about migrating from an old system, I chose the option for time machine or other hard drive and told it to migrate from my internal HD.

Once the migration was complete, I tested the system and then shut it down. I added back the original backup HD with snow leopard and rebooted from it in order to copy my external Lion HD onto the internal drive again using the restore function. I expect that I could have used a snow leopard install DVD since I just needed a disk utility. Once that was complete, I rebooted from the internal HD and Lion has been running well for the past 24 hours from the internal HD.

I have no idea why I could not get the install to work on my original erased internal HD but doing the install on an external drive and copying the complete system back onto the internal HD went without a hitch. BTW, so far I like Lion a lot especially the revised email program that looks more like my iPhone interface.

Aug 5, 2011 6:57 AM in response to Paul Gwozdz

I had similar issues.

The following article pointed me in a better direction:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20081398-263/os-x-10.7-cannot-be-installed-on-certain-drives/

I tried to go the partition route, but for some reason the operation failed.

I decided to attempt a Lion install again afterwards anyway, but once again it failed, but now my whole system was hosed and could not revert back to Snow Leopard.

I did a restore from time machine. Once that completed, I attempted to install Lion again, and ta da! it works now.

What a pain.

Error Occurred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.