Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Launchpad doubling application icons in Lion?

User uploaded file

Successfully upgraded from Leopard to Lion, and my Launchpad looks like this.

I can't delete the excess icons on edit mode.

Anyone who's also experiencing this?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 9:14 AM

had the same issue because i had on my old snow leo - a folder with all apple software in it.

i installed lion then went to the old folder with mail etc. in it and removed it - then launchpad updatet it self!

18 replies

Jul 22, 2011 9:32 AM in response to John Mark Tagle

I have the same issue but it has nothing to do with Snow Leopard in this instance. Just bought a brand new MacBook Air from the Apple Store and when I downloaded Google Chrome from Safari it created two icons for Chrome in Launchpad. No idea why. Didn't download twice accidentally. Both icons work. Didn't migrate an old version of Chrome from another laptop or anything. No alias found when using Spotlight to search for Chrome. And can't delete the icon by holding down on it in launchpad.

Any thoughts? Just a quirk?

Aug 7, 2011 1:23 AM in response to jhancock

jhancock, I looked through my applications folder like 100000 times and no dplicates. I heard that the applications folder might be the problem, so I tried to see if there was a duplicate of that, but it would'nt let me delete the application folder. this is what my launchpad looks like.User uploaded file

I am getting really frustrated cause I have super organization issues, and this is giving me a headache!!

Aug 7, 2011 1:54 AM in response to BRAIDZ91

Hi,

I had the same problem and I think I found the reason ... it's not only that Launchpad shows the doubles (one app installed twice or two different versions of the same app) but it publishes also the aliases ... I had a very well organized folders with aliases of the apps I use the most ... only those apps have been doubled.

Cheers,

Sharlo

Aug 8, 2011 12:54 AM in response to John Mark Tagle

I have figured it out!

STEP 1: under finer open the tab "Go" then the option toward the bottom "Go to Folder..."

STEP 2: In that text box type ~/library In that newly opened folder open up "Application Support"

STEP 3: In "Application Support" open up "Dock"

STEP 4: There should be only one file drag it to the trash

STEP 5: Restart your Mac

STEP 6: Empty the Trash

STEP 7: Launch the Launchpad

This process resets your applications!

before starting, in the search bar of the finder window type in "Applications" just to see if you have 2 Applications folders. I did and I deleted the one with the old applications in it. ( it had the app names but the wong app icons)

I hope this permanetly solves the problem!

Launchpad doubling application icons in Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.