Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail refuses to load after Lion.

Tried loading Mail and got dialog that said I needed to upgrade Mail messages etc. Started upgrading database then quits. In trying to reload I get a "Restore Windows" dialog that just results in spinning beach ball.

Mac Pro Mac OS X 10.7

Posted on Jul 20, 2011 10:12 AM

61 replies

Jul 20, 2011 11:58 AM in response to pugwash99

Similar problem here too. Allowed Mail to upgrade messages and then it failed to show the message viewer after it completed.

I quit Mail. Restarted it. The application menu bar appears, but when I click on Window, Message Viewer, the message viewer doesn't appear. I've checked my spaces and can't see the main message viewer anywhere.

If I click on File, New Message, however, a new message window does appear. But if I click on File, New Viewer Window, the spinning beachball appears, Mail hangs, and I have to force quit.

I tried rebooting - that didn't help either.

Good job I have Sparrow Mail installed as a backup client.

Jul 20, 2011 12:00 PM in response to pugwash99

I'm having the same(ish) problem, the only difference is that it doesn't get "stuck" on upgrading the database, it's just quickly quits on it's own. The upgrade window after you click "continue" doesn't even stay up for a half secons.

I have tried restarting, repairing permissions, deleting prefrences, repairing the Keychain, all to no avail. My computer has two user accounts, and the same problem happens on both accounts.

I did an upgrade install, and my accounts are IMAP. I hope I don't have to do a clean install just for this!

Jul 20, 2011 1:24 PM in response to fucethebads

I had this same problem but solved it, after looking at fucethebads comment... I went into System Preferences, clicked on the new Mail, Contacts and Calendars icon, and it opened up all of my POP and IMAP accounts. I noticed in some, the check box by the Mail account was unchecked... I checked them, restarted mail, and everything worked for the first time since installing Lion... and it was quick too. I hope this works for everyone else!

Jul 20, 2011 1:46 PM in response to pugwash99

Well this seems to be a problem for a few of us.

Tried everything that has been suggested so far but still no Mail.

Like others, when launching Mail, It starts up with the "Optimizing" screen and then after a few seconds it goes away with no warning. No Reporting error dialog. Simply disappears.

Spotlight is still doing its thing (about 6 hours to go).

Anyone from Apple listening? If we are not getting error reporting on this then they are not getting any info from users.

Mail refuses to load after Lion.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.